0.6

〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜
Jack: Friday, 21 July
〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜〜

I was sitting in front of the bed of flowers plucking them and pulling out weeds when I heard the front door open. It was hot out, and I wasn't expecting a glass to be extended to me. When I looked up, I saw Mark standing there, he was holding two.

"Oh, I don't need -"

"Take it." Mark interrupted. I did and took a sip of the lemonade as he sat down on the grass next to me. "Are you going to go see the fireworks tonight?"

"Wasn't planning on it." I said.

"Why not?"

"I'm not in any position to."

Mark rolled his eyes. "I'm requesting that you come. I don't want to go by myself."

"Your entire family is going." I noted.

"Which means I am going by myself." Mark sighed. "Please, I brought you lemonade to sweeten the deal." I looked down at the glass and laughed a little bit.

"Alright. I'll play your game." I smiled as I set the glass down on the grass as I continued to tend to the flower beds.

"Can I help?"

"Your mother would kill you if she saw you out here doing yard work." I said. "And then she would kill me."

"I want to help." Mark said. "What are you doing?"

"Pulling weeds." I told him. "Just pull that little one in front of you out, if you want to help." I watched Mark carefully as he reached out for the stem of a flower. "Ah! Not that one!"

"W-What!?" Mark panicked. "What did I do!?"

"That's a flower!" I laughed. "I was talking about that!" I said as I pointed directly at the weed. "Please do not pull out a flower." Mark pulled out the small weed instead of the flower and I watched him carefully. It was weird to have someone doing yard work with me, let alone offer to do it.

I stood up and began to trim hedges. Mark followed me around, every now and again begging to help me, to which I let him do a little bit of. When we finished I was hot and sweaty, Mark, not so much.

"By the way," Mark said. "I think it would be weird if you showed up in dress pants. You should wear just casual clothes. I want you to come as a friend, not as a servant." He told me while we walked back inside the house.

"Alright." I said to him as I continued on with my daily tasks.

"How much do you have left to do?" Mark grumbled while he watched me dust off the mantle in the living space. I laughed a little when I turned to him.

"I don't know." I shrugged.

"What do you mean you don't know?" Mark huffed.

"Well when I finish this, I'll probably sweep and mop the kitchen floor. If I finish that before dinner I will probably polish the wood floors in the upstairs hallway. Your older brother asked me to clean his room today, so I'll probably do that if I have time." I told him.

"James? You don't have to clean his room, Sean." Mark told me.

"I do actually." I laughed. "This is considered my place of employment, Mark." I held the duster behind my back as I leaned down to where Mark was. "Do you want me to clean your room too, Mr. Fischbach?"

"My room is clean."

"No it is not."

"What?"