Chapter Thirty-One | The World Has Turned And Left Me Here

Chapter Thirty-One

The World Has Turned And Left Me Here

Wednesday 12th, July

Max isn't here.

I ask a boy with thick, black hair if he saw him yesterday, if he'd even so much as popped his head in, but he shakes his and mumbles a quiet no.

Trying not to let it get to me, which is easier said than done, I continue on in my quest to cross off each nook and cranny of the college in efforts to track him down. Surely he has to be in today.

Max was nowhere to be found Monday or Tuesday.

And so far this afternoon my stalking of the music department and mini studios has been unsuccessful. I know, deep down that it's pointless. Max doesn't want to be found. He may not even be here.

He wants to be left alone.

And he's still giving me the silent treatment, although Libby called late last night to say that she saw him go out with his mum and Mel, how he was looking at his phone. She'd suggested that maybe, just maybe he was re-reading all the many texts sent since Friday night, but I can't be so optimistic.

In a way it's tough to feel anything other than completely hopeless.

I'd have hoped by now that I'd have been given at least a chance, no matter how small, but that's about as unlikely as me finding Max in the girl loo's and yet, I still check each cubicle one by one.

Even if it means running into Maddie, who has been notably absent or avoiding me too. And when I pass the drama department, I keep my head down and sunglasses on in case she's in there, though a part of me is worried that maybe she's not doing so great either.

As I duck past the dance studio with it's wide windows, my phone vibrates in my pocket.

It's Libby.

She tells me that she's tried reaching out Mel, but hasn't had much luck. Although, she says Linda did smile at her whilst bringing in the shopping this morning and asked how she was.

My fingers itch to scroll further down, surely there's more and there is.

I start to feel wobbly, like I've not had breakfast. I find a plastic seat near the studio and sit down. Then, I devour the rest of Libby's texted words.

Linda said that things have been a bit tense. She whispered something about Max and Mel having a falling out.

I'm pretty sure the whole college can hear my gasp as I read the first part and almost drop the phone.

But, she thinks it's ok now. Said that she's sure Max will come around soon, how he's not the type to stay angry. And then, she asked how you were.