23. I'm Scared, Kate

Samuel walked towards the woman nervously, keeping his head down, scratching his sweaty palm and unsure steps. "Hi." He said keeping his head down.

Joseph put his hand on my shoulder. "Kate, let's go to my room."

I nodded.

We took a step forward that Samuel turned around and left taking big steps. "Sorry I can't do this. Not now."

"Samuel." Joseph called him but he didn't stop.

"He needs time." Archibald said, looking at Samuel getting out of the building.

"Joseph, what's going on here?" I asked, wondering who the woman was.

Joseph shut his eyes for a minute and took a deep breath.

"Can we talk about it later?" He said trying to concentrate.

"Yeah. Sure." I said, squeezing his arm, giving him a reassuring smile.

He nodded, forcing a smile.

"You should be Kate." The woman said, walking towards us with a warm smile.

"Yes." I said, shaking hands with her.

"I'm Ashley." She introduced herself.

"Nice to meet you Ashley." I said.

"Nice to meet you too, darling." She said. Then looked at Joseph. "She's a really beautiful, sweet, young lady."

He nodded. "Yeah. I know. But thanks for the compliment."

She smiled and stroked Joseph's arm.

Joseph scratched his forehead, uncomfortably, while he was looking at another direction. "Kate is exhausted. I should take her to her room."

Ashley nodded. "I understand."

Joseph put his hand on my small back and pushed me forward.

We took few steps forward. Then Joseph stopped and turned around to face Ashley.

"Don't worry about Samuel. He just needs sometime alone. He'll come to you when he feels ready."

She nodded, biting her lip.

I was dying out of curiosity to know who the woman was but I didn't want to put Joseph under pressure neither.

We walked in a room designed completely in black.

"Here is my room. The next room is yours. We will stay here till Ricardo and Alexander make a proper deal with grandpa." Joseph said, sitting on the bed, looking distracted.

I stood in front of him and pushed my fingers in his hair. "What's wrong Joseph? Your eyes are full of pain. You look distracted and sleepless. You know I'm here for you. Talk to me." I said looking down at him.

He put his hands on my waist and pulled me down to sit on his lap.

"I know that I owe you an explanation. I will tell you everything when I'm ready. Just give me some time." He said, looking down playing with my fingers.

I nodded. "Okay." Then kissed his cheek and slid down from his lap on the bed.

"Are you okay? What was that panic attack that Samuel mentioned?" He asked looking at me.

"It was nothing. You don't need to worry about it." I said. Then bent to take off my shoes.

"I need to know what had happened to you." He insisted.

"No you don't need to know the things that doesn't matter anymore. The only thing that matters is that you are safe and alive." I said untying the laces of my sneakers.