Chapter 33 - Fall

Start from the beginning

"Just thinking. Needed some fresh air." She nonchalantly said and Brandon knew she didn't want to talk about it based on the tone of her voice. When the cool air blew, Kelsey shivered, now realizing that her arms were covered by goosebumps. Brandon noticed the obvious shiver and he quickly got up, placed the tub of ice cream on the seat of the swing and took his jacket off. He reached it out to her and she stared at the piece of clothing as if it was something out of ordinary.

"Don't worry, I've got a skin thicker than a cow." He joked as she reluctantly took the jacket and wrapped it around her shoulders, not bothering on shooting her arms on the sleeve-hole.

"Thanks." She gratefully uttered as she also stood up from the swing.

"Would you like some ice cream? I was thinking of making some crêpes for breakfast. Care to join me?" He offered before he cowered and regret on not inviting her later on. He took the plastic bag and wrapped it around his hand.

Kelsey shrugged and shot him a smile. "I could eat." She stated as she followed after him. They had small talks on the way back to the hotel. Just some random topics they could think of, like the weather, politics, and the random argument of why 'bananas' were named the way it was.

Brandon fished the keys out of his pocket and opened the hotel's restaurant. He switched on the lights and made their way to the kitchen. Kelsey helped him with the crêpes and found comfort in the kitchen as she started cooking. No matter what circumstances she was going through, the kitchen seemed to have a positive vibe on her.

It was already five-thirty when they finished cooking and have settled on the counter near the kitchen. Brandon kissed his fingers before announcing, "Bonne appétit!"

They dug onto the crêpes and Kelsey moaned in delight. "This is soooo good!" She sighed in amazement as the sweet flavour of the strawberries, bananas, Nutella, and ice cream erupted in her mouth.

Brandon only laughed and stared at her reaction. To say he was amused was an understatement. Kelsey placed another spoonful in her mouth and a bit of the ice cream remained on the corner of her mouth. Brandon chuckled and Kelsey glanced at him with a curious stare. "What?" She asked with her mouth full that it sounded like a mumble.

Brandon took the napkin beside his plate and dabbed it on the corner of her mouth. Kelsey was taken a back by his action and their eyes meet. They were just staring into each other's eyes and Kelsey saw a flash of admiration in his eyes. Not wanting to give him the wrong impression, she quickly snapped her eyes away from his and took the napkin from his hand. She carefully wiped the stain on her face and cleared her throat. "Thanks." She told him.

The tension grew in the room and the two were oblivious of the furious man watching them from the entrance of the restaurant. Mason wanted to go up there and punch him repeatedly. But he refrained himself once Kelsey pulled away from Brandon's touch. Mason wanted to see what was going to happen next. He needed to see if it was time to fire his employee.

"Even if you don't tell me what's wrong, I already know that it has to do with what happened earlier." Brandon stated, catching Kelsey off guard by the sudden topic. Kelsey only blinked at him, not knowing what to say.

"Kelsey." Brandon started as he spun the stool so that it was completely facing her. "Claris Morgan is someone from his past. She was a girl he was in love with before." He said as the words pierced in Kelsey's heart.

"But you're his present, Kelsey. You'll be his future." He announced bringing more sadness to Kelsey than comfort. She knew who she was in Mason's life. Mason had never failed to continuously rub it on her face. She was nothing but a girl who he picked up from the streets to pose as his wife. She was nothing but a sub, the last pick.