“I know what you’re thinking, it’s okay.” She says caringly and rubs my arm slowly. I look at her and give her a small smile. “You have only known me for almost 7 months and you already can read my mind.”

            “It was a hard talent to learn.” She says jokingly and laughs. I laugh too.

            “Okay students, if you’ll please take your seat.” I look over to see our principal talking in the microphone. All of the students listen and sit down. “Today we have our soldiers here to talk about what they do on Valentine’s Day when they are away from home. If you’ll give them your undivided attention that would be great.” He smiles and hands the microphone to a soldier.

             “How are you guys’ doin’?” The soldier says in a happy tone. Everyone screams “woo” and claps. He smiles. “I’m going to take that as you guys are doing good. Okay so.” He pauses and looks around, I see him look at me then he looks away at the audience again. “As most of you may know, the way us soldiers can communicate with our families or loved ones is by Skype. Usually, what I do on Valentine’s Day for my wife is I send her a letter saying all of the lovey dovey sayings.” He laughs a bit and so does everyone else. “We also communicate on Skype and I tell her memories and be a sweet guy. For my daughter, as most of you may or may not know her, Elizabeth…” Everyone turns their attention to Elizabeth. She’s a senior and does really good with academics. He smiles at her. “I write her a letter too, telling her how I wish I could be there to give her candy, like I used to do. And some other things.” He moves the microphone from his mouth.

            “Valentine’s Day is a day that can be full of surprises.”

            Everyone looks around. That was a woman’s voice. But the only soldiers in the gym are men. I look around all over the place. I look at Danielle and give her a weird look as she does the same to me. She looks behind me and her eyes widen. She gasps and covers her mouth. I open my eyes wide because of hers and look behind me. My heart stops.

            “Oh my god!” I jump up from my seat and everyone looks at me.

            “Oh my god!!” I hear Morgan yell from across the gym.

            The woman smiles at me and Morgan, and I start crying and smiling at the same time.

            “Mom!!!!” I run down the opening in front of where people sit and I go down the one set of stairs and run to my mom. It’s really her!!! She’s here! I run faster and she opens her arms wide and I jump in her arms hugging her so hard. I feel Morgan jump in too and we both hug her to death. She smiles big and I cry hard so does Morgan. Everyone starts cheering and clapping. I hear camera’s shuttering and I see flashes. I lay my head on her shoulder crying still. I haven’t hugged her in so long. She feels tougher from being in the war, but she’s so soft at the same time.

            She strokes my hair with one of her hands. “Shh. I’m here.” She kisses my forehead and then kisses Morgan’s.

            I pull away staring into my mom’s eyes. I sniffle. “I’ve missed you so much Mom.” I frown. Morgan pulls away and looks at her. “Me too!” She cries harder. My mom still looks beautiful, even right now when she’s wearing her military uniform. She looks at Morgan and I. She tears up and wipes our tears away. “You’re going to make me cry.” She smiles as she laughs.

            We walk over to the rest of the soldiers with our mom and she stands in between Morgan and I.

            “As I was saying…” She smiles and pauses. “As I was saying, Valentine’s Day can be full of surprises. I am officially coming home.” I open my eyes wide as I hear everyone cheering. I smile big and look at Morgan. We both look at her. She’s officially going to be home. Oh my god. I’m so overwhelmed right now. I look over at Danielle smiling. She keeps smiling big at me. Her eyes are filled with tears. I lay my head on my mom’s shoulder. I see my mom looking around and she looks at Danielle.