“May I be as bold as to say that you have the most gorgeous red hair I’ve ever seen?” he told me, his smile warm and pleasant.

“Thank you.”

“Are you here alone?”

I looked over at Gina, who had been looking at the man in front of me with surprised eyes.

“No, I’m here with my friend, Gina,” I explained.

“Nice to meet you, Gina,” Xavier said, shaking her hand as well.

The music seemed to have gotten much louder suddenly.

“Would you like to dance, Lucy?” he asked, extending a hand towards me.

I once again looked over at Gina, and she gave me an encouraging smile. “I would love to,” I responded, taking his hand.

When he led me to the dance floor, I noticed how cold his hand was. It was a little chilly out, and also my hands might have been a bit warm from me clenching them into fists at the bar out of a nervous habit.

We must have danced over five or so dances. I had to excuse myself in between a dance or two to powder my nose. He bought me a drink at the end of our last dance and we sat in the booth in the back. I would have worried about Gina if she weren’t currently engaged in a conversation with a suitable looking man.

“Please, tell me about yourself, Lucy,” Xavier asked as he took a sip of his wine.

“Well, I have a sister whom I adore. She’s younger than me, but we are extremely close.”

“That must be wonderful to be close to someone. Family is what I miss at times.”

“Oh? What happened to your family?”

“They died a while back.”

My smile faded. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be, it was a long time about.”

The conversation drifted from the topic of family to what my hobbies were and my childhood. He told me about how he loved to take walks in the night to observe the stars, and also how he loved the city life. I was called beautiful by him nearly eight times during our conversation and then he pulled out his gold pocket watch and frowned.

“It’s getting late… Do you need a ride? I’m sure your friend won’t mind.” He nodded towards my friend, who was dancing with the man she had been talking to.

“I’ll have to ask her. Do you mind waiting?” I stood up.

“No, not at all.”

I was surprised to see that we had spent a full five or so hours in deep conversation. I couldn’t believe this was happening to me. I’d dreamt of finding a man to fall in love with and spend my years with. This could very well be the one.

Gina encouraged me to let the gentleman take me home and next thing I knew I was in his car heading down the road. He wore his hat and coat as he drove, while I would occasionally admire him.

“Turn left on this road and my house is the third on the right,” I explained, pointing towards the dark road.

“Would you like to go back to my place?”

My eyes widened at the bold words. We had only known each other for a few hours and he wants me to go with him? I was frozen in my seat, trying to form the word no.

“I can’t, my mother is expecting me home in just a few minutes,” I answered after a minute or two.

I expected him to say something, but he didn’t. We continued to drive down the empty road, missing my street. “Um, my house is down the street we just passed,” I stated in a choke.

He didn’t speak; he continued to drive without as much as a glance at me. I began slamming my body against the door to try and escape this situation. He grabbed my wrist painfully in his ice cold grasp and yanked me towards him.

“Please!” I cried as I kicked and screamed to get away.

His face changed into a monster. I watched in horror as two sharp teeth pierced through his gums and his eyes became blood-red. The car stopped in a sudden jolt and then he yanked me into his lap, piercing his teeth deep into my neck.

It was like having someone get thousands of needles of piercing them all over. My screams became muffled by his hand over my mouth, and my breathing was shallower and gargled. What was happening to me? I didn’t have a clue.

Just as I thought I was almost dead, I tasted something salty and almost metallic going down my throat. My eye lids flew open and I jerked against his wrist which he had held to my lips. Blood, I tasted blood.

“Shh, calm down,” he commanded hoarsely as he wrapped his free arm around my waist.

He pulled his wrist from my lips very slowly, and put his hand over both my mouth and my nose to where I couldn’t breathe. I kicked, cried, screamed, thrashed, hit, and even prayed when darkness surrounded me.