Chapter 7: The Art of Generosity

A satisfying popping noise sounded throughout Urie Kuki's bedroom, the scent of oil paint soon following. Even so, the second movement from Beethoven's third symphony filled the room more than anything. Marcia funebre: Adagio assai in C minor... Urie analyzed the small tube of paint between his thumb and forefinger. Blue. With the gentlest touch that the male could muster, his fingers pressed against the tube for it to excrete the thick pigment onto his awaiting pallet. The color of oceans, skies, sapphires, butterfly wings... and Yami's hair. "Stop." He denied that thought firmly. "Don't let your mind wander."

Urie returned from the hospital two days prior, withholding any and all details from everyone in the shared living area about his time there. If Haise was to find out the real basis for Urie's hospitalization, he'd become furious. After all, Haise did disapprove of the surgery when Urie approached him about it weeks ago. "I took up Director Washuu's request to be a Mentor so I could teach you guys how to handle this power the right way," Haise told Urie, "but... when I participate in the conceptual phase of the Q's Plan, I... get lost. Urie-kun, you guys aren't guinea pigs. This way of doing things..."

Bristles of a thick brush swirled the standard blue and white paints to create a new shade. The mixing was rougher than usual. Urie was getting carried away with distant thoughts and he unintentionally added a dash of green to the mixture.

"Your Quinx ability isn't your only quality. I think there is plenty of room for improvement in your current state. Perhaps... I will allow this at a later time..."

"But I got the surgery, Sasaki-san." Once again Urie's voice reflected his thoughts, but he didn't pay much mind to it seeing as he was the only one occupying the room. The other Quinx members were on the opposite side of the building training. Even Saiko was attending. "I got the surgery you denied..." The operation that will enhance capacity of Kagune abilities. The operation that will gift me the skills to surpass even you. "because Arima-san himself approved it for me."

With the exilerting thought of his increased capabilities, Urie placed the painting palette to the side and the brush into the cup of paint thinner before clutching the tube of blue paint from before. He brought the opening to his nose— not caring if he accidentally received a dab of color on the outside of his nostrils— and inhaled. "My sense of smell is the same as before..." His voice was disappointed, though he knew that the operation's affects would only show themselves to the fullest extent when he released Kagune. Urie would have done just that, but he was strictly forbidden to use Kagune until five days after being released from hospital recovery.

"Arima Kishou-san..." He breathed the superior investigator's name, returning to the pallet and brushes. More than satisfied with the color that he conjured, he then began to taint the blank canvas. The music seemed to grow louder as Urie lost control of his hand. E-flat major, Opus 55... "You recognized it. You recognized my potential." The muttered words were lost to him. Urie's thoughts were becoming too loud not to voice as his brush moved in long, harsh strokes across the canvas. "You saw me for who I truly am. You knew I could handle it. You trusted me. You recognized it. You saw my potential. That Sasaki-san... he doesn't recognize it. He refuses. He doesn't understand me. He—"

The smell of peppermint stabbing my nasal cavities... delicious.

Knock, knock.

The knock was light that it almost went unheard, but it was just enough to break Urie away from whatever unhealthy trance he hopelessly hurled into. "Calm down." Urie told himself in a firm voice, closing his eyes and scrapping his teeth together to keep him grounded. "You will not run rampant like Sasaki-san..."