Chapter 9: Unfortunate Complications (Auction Part 1)

Night had fallen and the Auction had begun. An ungodly number of ghouls gathered— some to buy, some to observe. It surprised Urie, though he hadn't let this shock show, how quiet they were. That's not to say that it wasn't obvious that there was an event taking place. There were a few who hollered in delight as they entered Zeum Hall and the formal attire was prominent. The masks were also apparent, but it could easily be mistaken for a gaudy masquerade party. Urie Kuki wondered if it was this tame on the inside. The knowledge that Yami and Mutsuki were experiencing whatever may or may not be a nightmare made him unfamiliarly anxious.

Hours had passed since the last glimpse of Yami crossed Urie's vision, but he had yet to shake that vivid image of her out of mind. There was truly no joy in seeing her dressed the way she was, especially since she seemed so uncomfortable with it. In the years tat Urie has known of Yami's existence, there was never once that he would had identified her as someone who would have a fondness of girly attire. While seeing her in skirts was not unfathomable or uncommon, Urie could never recall seeing one that didn't go well passed her knees. Simply speaking, Yami was a rather conservative person in terms of both mind and fashion. So, seeing her clad in a dress that just-barely covered her thighs forced Urie to hate the persistent image.

Yami's legs were bare, a simple fact that made her cheeks flush and her fingertips grip the ends of the dress tightly. The color of the short dress was perhaps the only ease that could possibly be grasped because it withheld any type of bright, unnatural colors. It was a midnight blue shade, so dark that, in the dim lighting of the incoming evening, it could easily be misidentified as black. The collar buttoned at the base of her neck, thankfully hiding anymore skin that had could have been shown, and was lined with a teal lace that could also be found at the ends of the skirt. It was tight around her torso but fluttered out at her hips, swaying with such ease that a simple gust of wind could have made the fabric move. Honestly, it looked nice on her body and didn't make Urie want to look away. The only aspect of the visual that off-set the tone was the very apparent discomfort on Yami's face.

"Haise-san," She spoke in a meek tone while the Quinx awaited outside of the Chateau for Suzuya's Squad. The older boy being addressed peered over at her, eyebrows raised and a warm smile on his face, "D—Do I really have to wear this dress? Can't I put pants under it?"

Urie, if he were the outspoken type, would have reinforced her question the moment he saw the hesitation in Haise's eyes. Can't he see that she's uncomfortable? "This is Suzuya-san's orders." Haise informed with a smile that was now forced. "He told me to make sure that you and Mutsuki-kun 'look cute'?" How the hell are either of them expected to fight in a dress like that? She'll look cute either way.

Haise sighed upon seeing the frigid state Mutsuki and Yami were in dressed in their thin attire. "If the two of you want to give us pants, were can try to give them to you when we regroup." A hopeful gasp left Yami's mouth, a happy smiled spreading. "However," Haise sounded like a father in that moment, his voice deep as he wagged a finger at Yami, "I will not go out of my way to protect them. If I lose them by the time we regroup then that's that. Also, we won't waste time waiting for you to dress yourself."

Urie wanted to get on with the mission. He loathed sitting in the rear of a truck, enclosed in an area with the other Quinx (excluding Yami and Mutsuki) awaiting a cue to storm the Hall. He loathed wondering about what exactly was taking place inside. He loathed the way Yami would come into his mind without permission along with a feeling of concern. Damn her, he cursed the girl, Damn her for crying in front of me the other day and damn her for making me worry about her state of being.