Chapter 5: The Nutcracker Observation

Uncharacteristically, Katayama Yami wore a long skirt while sitting in the coffee shop. It was no bother to her though. In truth, she quite liked the warm-colored floral pattern etched on the black fabric, and she did not feel unsuited to wear it, either. She did feel unsuited to show the flowing white blouse, that covered her upper half and tucked into the waste, however. It had been a long while since she'd last gone into the world without her investigator jacket and, while freeing, the heaviness of it on the shoulders were missed. Taking yet another meaningless sip of the coffee she ordered, she couldn't stop herself from comparing it to the heavenly taste of the coffee from :RE. The décor was not nearly as breathtaking as :RE's either. Every coffee since encountering :RE disappointed Yami, and she began to unintentionally think negatively of the perfect café. She cursed that quaint shop for ruining the taste of every other coffee. You are not here for coffee, Yami. She had to scold herself for getting caught up in a trivial thing. Reordering her priorities, Yami glanced yet again at the woman across the shop with silky black hair. Her eyes did not linger for long, for she knew that if she was caught staring it would be perceived as suspicious:

"Nutcracker?" Yami inquired of the name a week prior, tilting her head to the side while furrowing her dark brows at the other five Quinx members that gathered around her. Even Saiko was present, though she had fallen into the hypnosis of her phone; droopy eyes focused on whatever game she was playing more than the group discussion of a new investigation.

Shirazu groaned, squeezing his eyes shut and leaning back on the dining room chair. "Don't make us explain the name, Yami-chan!" His tone was pleading, and he glanced over to the other males of the group. Urie, who was the closest in proximity, pursed his lips while Haise simply blushed from the thought of having to explain the name to the pure-minded girl. "Why does she gotta be so innocent?" The murmured comment would have sent her cheeks flaming if she had not felt so ill.

Yami had eaten very little that morning. Very little, yet it still had a profound effect on her stomach. The instant her mouth tasted the food she had prepared for breakfast, she very hastily scampered to the bathroom, where she spend the rest of her day. It wasn't until the sun once again disappeared from the sky, that she had the strength to stand to her feet and confer with the other members about the meeting that she had to miss. Oh no, even Saiko-chan went to the meeting. Yami cursed herself when she when she was told.

Mutsuki put a hand under his chin, "They call this ghoul 'Nutcracker' because she crushes her victim's testicles before she devours them." A horrified gasp escaped Yami, and she covered her mouth from the shock. The look in her eyes made Shirazu shake his head, scolding Mutsuki for being too forward. That's our next target?

Haise stiffened upon hearing Mutsuki's blunt explanation, "She is sick. You didn't have to say that, Mutsuki-chan. I would have told her tomorrow when she was feeling better..."

Yami's face went pale and a puff of heat hid her body all at once. Wordlessly, Urie had stood to exit the room, not wanting to see the girl get sick nor be the one to have to clean it up. "That's simply terrible..." She muttered. "Absolutely horrible..."

"Her identity has already been uncovered." Haise decided to speak then, seeing no reason to hold back now that Yami knew the most gruesome habit of the ghoul. Upon seeing her confused expression on the statement, he continued, "She has dealings with human trafficking and the Gourmets. We and Squad Suzuya agreed to observe her for a while before pursuing."

Yami gulped, "Gourmets, huh?" The remainder of the evening was spent with Haise and Yami conversing about the information already gathered on Nutcracker...