Chapter 10

I went to class like usual, taking the ridicules and the stares. It never really gets old. I could say that I've gotten use to it, but I haven't—at least not truly. Every time something new happens, it opens a newer wound. This was never going to stop. I was never going to be the ten year old me again.

Once lunch started, I went off to the bathroom. I just wanted to collect myself. If that was possible. I check under each stall, hopeful not to find anyone else in here. There weren't. I let out an exasperated sigh as I looked at myself in the mirror.

I turned on the faucets and let the water stream through my fingers. After a minute or so I cupped the water in my hands and splashed it on my face. It helped somewhat.

Suddenly the door opened and Avery was standing there. He looked angry or aggrivated, it was always hard to tell what he was feeling. I wiped my face with paper towel and attempt to walk pass him to leave. He caught my forearm and pushed me back.

“What?” I scowled.

“You're coming with me,” he said as his blonde hair cascaded down his face.

“No,” I snatched my hand away, “I'm not.”

Avery sighed, “I really don't have time for this. Tink!”

Out of nowhere bright blue orbs started surounding us. A part of me was kind of hoping that I would see Tink again, even though she pretty much hated my guts. Ever since I fell for Peter, she's wanted to cut my head off.

“Wait!” I took a step back. “I'm not going anywhere with you. I can't trust you Peter—I mean Avery.”

“Windy, I don't have time for this. I need you to come with me now or I will have to force you.”

“Okay,” I brought my hand up to my chest then I jabbed it upward, connecting with Avery's jaw. He winced as he bent over. I also got pass him until he caught my wrist. Before I could hit him again we begin turning invisible.

*

*

I woke up dazed on someone's carpet. I could tell that I was in a living room. I tried to stand, but a nauseous feeling stormed over me and I found myself unable to do pretty much anything. Breathing excercises were not working in this situation.

“Here,” I turned a little and Avery handed me a glass of water. ”It'll help with the nausea.” When I didn't take it, he frown, “It's not poisonous.”

I snatch the glass out of his hand and gulped down the water. It was refresh and did help with the nausea. After a few minute the feeling subsided altogether. I looked up at Avery.

“Tok is back and he's sided with Hook,” Avery said. “I put up four different barriers to shield this town, but he still got through. I caught him the other day doing some kind of encantation. When I heard your name I went to find out what he was doing. He was doing some kind of spell Windy and it involved you.”

“Why does Tok want me? I have no magic. You kicked me out of Neverland, remember? I have no ties to you or that place anymore.”

“Yes you do,” he shook his head like I was delibertly lying. “I know you've been dreaming about me. I could literally hear you trying to come back to Neverland. Do you know how aggrivating that is?”

“Sorry,” I said nonchalantly, “won't happen again.” I got up from the floor, still half dazed. “I'll be on my way then.”

“Sorry, I can't let you do that,” he said and I glared at him “...at least not yet. We need to talk first. I need to tell you the whole reason I am here.”

“I really don't care any more Peter—I mean Avery,” I threw my hands in the air. “You have single-handedly ruin my life. Everyone thinks I'm crazy because of you. No one will come near me. They all think I'm some kind of virus.”

“Was it really me who ruined your life or was it you. I didn't tell you to go spouting off to everyone about Neverland. You should have known better. Without proof they never would have believed you.”

“I just want..” I stopped and started sobbing, “I just want...”

“What Win? To expose Neverland so your mommy and daddy wouldn't think you were crazy?!” he shouted. “If you had just kept your mouth shut, you'd be living a normal life by now. Don't blame me for your shit.”

I shook my head, “I hate you.”

“No you don't,” he walked up into my personal space, “you love me.”

“Correction, I used to,” I took a few steps back. “Where am I?”

“My house,” he shrugged. He sat down on a couch and patted the spot next to him. “Sit.”

“No...thanks,” I crossed my arms. “I just want to go home and to forget all about you. Maybe by the time I graduate I'll have more friends.”

“Windy, please,” he looked at me with soft eyes. Just who the hell did he think he was? I was not the same old Windy—granted that I still dream about him. I'm getting better—I think.

“No I don't—”

“No Tink!” Avery shouted. It took me a minute to see Tinkerbell heading straight towards me. I don't think she was trying to welcome me. I reached my hand out and pulled it back with a fresh cut. She cut me.

Then she started flying all around me—cutting me. Droplets of my blood spewed in every direction. I trpped trying to run, but that didn't seem to hender her. “Tink stop!” Avery shouted. “Tink!”

Tinkerbell was flying fast and cutting deeper. At this point I was on my hands and knees trying to crawl away. It felt like lots of sharp bite marks. I screamed while she flew around me in cirles, leaving scars and she went. “Tink, stop! Please!”

“I don't believe in fairies!” Avery shouted and Tink stop frozen still until she dropped to the ground. “Tink!” Avery ran to her and cupped her in his hand. “I do believe in fairies.”

Tinkerbell started stirring before her eyes popped open. Once she saw me she tried going for round two. I held my hands up to shield me face.

“Stop it Tink! Go!” Avery commanded. She was reluctant, but did as he said anyway. Although she did give me the nastiest look before leaving.

“What was that?”

“She hate you,” he said calmly. “She thinks you're the reason I grew older.”

“But I'm not. It's just magic, isn't it?” I asked. “You can still go back to normal, right?”

“No,” he sat back on the couch with a void look on his face, “I can't. Gradually my magic and Tink will disappear. I will keep growing until I'm old and gray—like a regular human.”

“Why?” I pressed the sleeve of my shirt into the cut on my lip. “Why did you come back?”

“I told you the truth about Hook, but he isn't the only reason,” he said. “I guess I just wanted to know what it's like to be a normal boy—teenager. I've been a ten year old boy for over three-hundred years. Maybe it's time that I grew up,” he shrugged.

“So what's the other reason why you're back?”

“You.”