Chapter 9

The next morning I had woke up on my living room couch. When I got home, everybody was either busy or gone. I didn’t have the strength to walk to my room. I am so tired. I am tired of being the joke, the fool. Avery has made it clear that he doesn’t want me so why should I bother. If he could throw me away, then I could throw him away.

Karen would be the next to go. Who lures their friends to get humiliated in front of the entire school? I use to think that it was just Karen being Karen, but I don’t even know who she is anymore.

“Hey Win,” Mikey said as he plopped on the couch next to me and turned on the television.

“Hey,” I said dryly.

“What’s wrong?” he looked at me curiously.

“Nothing, it’s been a long night,” I sighed. “Never grow up Mikey. It makes life harder.”

“But I want to grow up. Then I can start riding motorcycles.”

I smiled, “I guess that’s a good reason to grow up.”

“You should grow up too Win,” he said and I turned to look at him. “I can’t remember Neverland like you do, but it’s only hurting you to remember. Maybe you should forget about Peter Pan.”

“That’s not easy to do. I will forever be the ‘crazy’ in school. No one ever wants to go near me.”

“Why?”

“Um…because they think I’m crazy.”

“But you’re not,” he chuckled as he flipped through the channels. “They just don’t know you like I do. Show them who you really are Windy.”

I appreciated him trying to comfort me, but the hole was deeper than he could have imagined. It almost went to the core. No one at school is going to willingly accept me for who I am even if they did really know who I was. “Okay Mikey.”

I got up and check the clock in the kitchen. It was only 5:00. Why was Mikey up so early? “Hey Mikey,” I went back into the living room to find the TV off and Mikey nowhere in sight. “Mikey?” I guess he went back to sleep.

“I walked upstairs to my room and just as I turned the knob I heard a voice. I turned around and it was Jon Jon. He was just staring at me in the semi-darkness. “What are you doing up Jon Jon?”

“Show them who you really are Windy,” he chuckled and his went higher. “Show them how crazy you really are,” his face contorted and stretched. His eyes were now black slits and his tongue flick out like a snake. “Peter Pan can’t save you this time.” I fell back against my door and tried to turn the knob, but it was locked.

“Stay away from me!” I shouted.

“Poor Windy. You’re always getting picked on. Maybe if you weren’t so fucking crazy, you’d have real friend. Your family hates you. Your mother thinks you’re a burden. You’re father almost lost him job over you multiple time. Just because poor little Windy couldn’t stop thinking about Peter Pan. How pathetic,” his tongue flicked out and glide along the side of my face. I grimace and turned away from it.

“What are you?”

“Really? You don’t remember dear old Tok. We had some fun when you were sane. Now it’s time for me to take you back.”

“What? Get away from me!” I pushed him and he burst. There was nothing but a white powdery substance where he stood. I jiggled my door knob and it miraculously opened. I turned on my bedroom light and went to my bathroom. I went to the mirror and splashed cold water on my face. I looked tired in the mirror. A part of me thought that I was just having a bad dream. I hit my head a few time and he was still there.

“Come on now Windy,” he whispered in my ear.

“Win!” Jon Jon came into the hallway and Tok just...disappeared. “Do you know where my hate is? Jake and I are going running.”

“What?” I blinked trying to understand what just happened. Did he not see him? “You didn't see him?” I asked.

“See what?” he shrugged.

“Tok! He was standing right here,” I explained.

“Look Win I really don't have time for this. Do you know where my hat is or what?”

“Um...no,” my lips quivered as I spoke. Maybe I am just this crazy. I turned and jiggled my door knob until it opened. I slammed it behind me and wand plopped on my bed.

When is this ever going to stop? I kept asking myself that same question over and over again. When was I ever going to have my life back? Be normal?

The truth was that I was never going to have that. My life was set tht moment I went to Neverland with Peter. He as screwed my past and present. I can't let him do the same to my future. It's all that I have left.

*

*

Two hours later...

“I am so sorry Win,” Karen sighed, “I didn’t know it would go that bad. I was told to invite you and see if you’d come, that’s all.”

“Uh huh,” I said as I walked pass her.

“Look, I tried to help, but no one was listening to me. When Monty said he didn’t invite you I was going to leave with you,” she paused, “Say something Win.”

“What do you want me to say? I was humiliated because you thought it would be fun to make up some fucked up situation where I needed to come save you just so everyone could make a fool out of me. Do you know the meaning of betrayal,” I squeezed the straps of my backpack as the other student passing by started staring.

“I didn’t betray you. I was just drunk and…”

“And nothing. I’m done with you Karen. I don’t care if you drug yourself to death. You don’t know how to be true friend, so I’m going to return the favor.”

I walked on while she stopped. I didn’t turn to see the look on her face. I said everything that I needed to say.

“Windy!” I heard Avery calling my name.

I kept walking. Just like he tossed me aside I was going to do the same. I don't need him. I wish he would go away. I wish I had never met him. I wish I could go back in time and refuse to leave with him.

“Windy stop!” he shouted, earning him a few glance from other students in the hallway. He glared at them and they all turned away. “Hold up.”

“What do you want now? Haven't you fucked up my life enough?” I said sarcastically.

“No,” he said and I started walking off again. “Wait, I'm just kidding. I wanted to ask you something.”

“What could you possible have to ask about me?” I didn't slow down.

“Tok.”

I stopped in my tracks and turn to stare at him. “What? What did you just say?”

“Tok is here Windy,” he replied. “I have a feeling that he will tried to come back for you. I'm afraid that I'm not strong enough to protect you this time. He's already broken through some of my barriers.”

“I don't care. It's not like I was depending on you to save me again anyways,” I walked away and didn't look back. I wasn't going to tell him what was wrong with me. He didn't need to know. I didn't need him around me.