Chapter 2

“Windy,” someone whispered. “Windy.” I heard it again. I opened my eyes and I knew I wasn’t at home anymore. I took in my surroundings. It was blurry at first, but then things starts to come into focus. “Let’s go Windy,” I see Peter standing right behind me. Now I know it’s a dream. “Hook is coming Windy.” I look down and I’m in pajamas again but unlike all the other times, I’m not ten. I’m seventeen.

As we run through the forest, I lose my footing and fall to the ground. It wasn’t a soft fall. I got up and pain seared through my knee, “Ow, ow, it hurts,” I limp to Peter.

“Fly with me,” Peter grabs my hand and we’re off into the sky. “Happy thoughts, Windy. Pelt her Tink,” he says to the mischievous fairy flying beside us.

Tinkerbell finally sprinkles some fairy dust on me, but not without pouting. “Happy thoughts, happy thoughts,” I repeat to myself. I think about me and my family when we went to Hawaii for vacation. Then Peter wasn’t holding me up anymore. For some reason I also thought back to the time when I stapled his shadow back on and he took all the credit.

~Time skips forward~

*

I am back in the forest, on the ground. Peter pops his head out from behind a tree. I try to run to him, but something stops me. He comes out from behind the tree as says the same words that breaks my heart every time. “Go home Windy, I can’t follow you.” Then I am jerked from my paradise and jolted back into my room.

***************************************************************

I woke up groggy, like always. Damn dreams. I was about to call Karen until I remembered last night and the fact that she got laid and I had to go home with Cliff, who seems to have an eye problem. I check my clock and it said 1:45 in the afternoon. I missed church again, doubt anybody would care. Since the whole Peter Pan thing, they have been on edge around me.

I rubbed my eyes then got up. I went into my bathroom then ran the shower, my only source of relaxation. I took off my bra and panties then stepped in the shower, just one step and I accidentally slip on some soap and hit my butt on the floor. It hurt really badly. I got up and rubbed it then tried it again. Yes, it worked! I know it was a weird victory, but if you knew me, clumsy would be one way you’d described me.

After I finished showering, I slipped on some khaki pants with a short-sleeved grass green shirt. I walk down stairs just as mom, dad, Jonathan and Michael came home from church.

“Oh so now you wake up,” mom said. “We banged on your door this morning, almost thought you were dead.”

“Sorry mom,” I bit my bottom lip.

“No, don’t say sorry to me, say sorry to God,” she pointed to the ceiling. I look up then back at them. “What time did you get back, Windy?” she asks waiting for an answer. Dad just gives me an ‘I’m sorry look’ before he goes upstairs to change his clothes. “Jon Jon,  Mikey, go change your clothes.”

“Yes ma’am,” they say in unison while easing around her.

“I was just tired I guess. I said I was sorry. I promise I will be there next Sunday.”

“Are you still having those dreams?” she looked at me with sadness in her eyes. I couldn’t tell her that I never stopped having the dreams. I regretting lying to her for all these years but I didn’t want more pill and more therapists. I wanted to be normal. If I could go back in time, I would change ever meeting Peter. What makes it really bad is that I’m the only one who remembers. Jon Jon was there too, but he asks like it never happened. Maybe he didn’t remember, but I can’t forget.