Chapter 2: An Encounter

12th of August 2009 , Istanbul , Turkey ;

Meldive Specialist Hospital , surgical department

I was having my coffee at the hospital's cafe , when suddenly the buzzer in my coat's pocket went off as crazy as you could imagine. My heart was hammering , it was an emergency . Before thinking twice , I rushed to the emergency gate and once the ambulance van's door was open , a young girl was taken out on a stretcher , and a woman was sobbing by her side.

"Engy Gurel , 7 years old . She lost her consciousness during her class , and her blood pressure is currently 60 mm Hg systolic . Her teacher at school told us that she had vomited 3 times on the go this morning," The EMT of the ambulance reported.

"Doctors , please do something .Please help my daughter," The woman , which seemed to be the girl's mother, begged.

"Don't worry Ma'am," Dr. Julide assured her as she rushed with the stretcher to the examining room.

"Ella , take the lady to the waiting room. Burak and Eylul , you will help me with the necessary blood tests , but first we need to give her midodrine to raise her blood pressure," Julide commanded as she checked the child's pulse rate.

*

"Okay guys , listen to me . The tests' results shows that the kid had probably swallowed a horrible amount of toxic chemicals .It looks like she is into a severe Liver failure. Eylul , tell me what's the next step that we should take?" Dr. Julide asked.

"The only choice we have is an organ transplantation," I replied in a taut voice.

"and.."

"And we should carry out the antigenic cross matching test to minimize the risks of tissue rejection after transplanting the liver lobe."

"Great job Eylul!"

"We need to speak to her mother about it . I see the best option is to take a liver lobe either from the mother or her father," Dr.Julide added.

"Shall I take care of this case Doctor?" Burak suggested.

"Are you kidding me ? You should better stop wearing your stethoscope upside down before you could handle a patient's report," Said Dr.Julide sarcastically.

Burak tilted his face down as it went red , trying to fix the position of his stethoscope. Me , Ella and the girls on the other side were giggling until we received a stern look from Dr.Julide.

Dr.Julide left the room , signalling for us to follow her to the waiting room .

"Madam , your daughter's medical status is currently stable and she had woke up , but she has been diagnosed with a liver failure due to an intake of a toxic potion.
Can you give us any details?"

"2 days ago , she swallowed a whole pitcher of printing ink . My father is running a small stationery store near our home and Engy goes with him . I don't know why I left her alone , I should have brought her here earlier," The woman started weeping again.

"It's okay ma'am . It's that we have to carry out a transplanting operation as fast as possible before it's too late . After looking into your daughter's medical condition , getting the liver lobe from you or her father is the best choice , of course after your agreement . For the donor , the liver will regenerate the taken lobe again , so don't you worry about that," Dr.julide explained as we took notes after her.

"Engy's father died 4 years ago , but I am married now to another man. Doctor , I am here ready for my daughter , I would do anything to save Engy , and I mean anything even if it costs my own life."