Chapter1: The day I became a doctor

6th of August 2009 , Istanbul , Turkey ;

Meldive Specialist Hospital , surgical department

"Good morning . Would you please send to my office the medical report for the patient in room 512 , and I need his blood tests from the laboratory as well as the coronary angiogram x-rays," A man around his fifty's , with winter-white hair demanded. 

"Of course , Dr.Birtan," The nurse replied.

"Ah , by the way , don't you know when will the trainees arrive ?" Dr.Birtan exclaimed.

"I think they did arrive an hour ago sir , they might be waiting in the doctors' rest room."

"Great ! Thank you."

Continuing on his way , Dr.Birtan gathered the trainees and went to the hall .

"Welcome everyone , I am Dr.Birtan , a heart surgeon and the surgeons' chairman in this Hospital," He started as he fixed the position of the mike.

"Here , you will be finally building up your career in surgery . You will work in all the surgical branches , until you're ready to choose which field you'll opt. You've to know that the upcoming years are going to be the most exhausting but yet exciting years of your life . You should prepare yourself for the upcoming days , because from now on , the operation room is going to be the most important site in your life . Until yesterday , you were still medical students , you were still learning theoretically , but today you became a part of this hospital which means you're responsible for every single patient in here . This hospital is one of the most important hospitals in the country , so by the end of your training period , only the best assistants will be chosen to stay . To this , you have to have the challenging spirit , but you should also work as a family and as a one team. From now on , you have accepted the challenge of taking this responsibility and the choice is within your hands. Now you can leave to your resting room , get your coats , stethoscopes , buzzers and get started. Dr.Julide will guide you through your first day. Good luck everyone."

*

I stood in front of the mirror which was hung at the back of my cupboard's door , fidgeting my shoulders as I wore the white coat with the hospital's logo on the right side . A wide beaming smile did not leave my cherry lips as I thought of how time passed that fast. Finally it's the day I have been waiting for since I left the orphanage. After all this time , it's the day I am standing in the site I have always dreamed of standing on . Today , I swear to save lives . To save the life of anyone in need , no matter where they come from , no matter who they are , no matter when and where . From now on , this job is my major responsibility , and I swear I will do my best to keep this position .

"Hi , I am Eylul," I went up to one of the girls in our group.

"I'm Ella. Nice to meet you," She smiled back.

"Ella ! Aren't you the girl that used to be in Gabrielle Secondary School ?" A blonde young man joined the conversation . His hazel eyes and chubby cheeks made him look younger than he was , but he seemed friendly.

"Yes ! Do we know each other ? It's been a long time,"Ella exclaimed.

"We used to share the same class , but you were always the topnotch," The chubby young man said as he tried to put on his face mask.

"Wait . Are you Burak ? Yeah I remember you Burak ! Never expected you to be here ," Ella replied in astonishment.

"Who knows," Burak winked.

"Guys if you're ready , Dr.Julide is waiting for you at the end of the corridor," A nurse guided us.

We hustled out of the room as fast as we could . As I know about Dr.Julide , she is a very strict Surgical specialist , but I don't think this is going to be a big deal.

Julide , she is a very strict Surgical specialist , but I don't think this is going to be a big deal

"Okay Listen to me carefully . To begin with , you've to know the major rule for being a doctor . Whenever you hear the buzzer , you've got to run as fast as you can , this is a hospital and not a department store ! Every second counts in saving lives . Now your training period has started , you have 36 hours to go," A tall slim lady probably at her forty's , with short brown hair and edged grey eyes strictly announced as she ticked the box across the checklist she was holding.

"36 hours?" We all protested.

"Ah , I forgot to say something . You're all still trainees , which means zero level in surgery , so I don't want here any objections . I don't want to hear any word uttered unless I have asked , and whatever I ask , you have to answer because that's what you should basically do here. Last but not least , whenever I move to the emergencies , you have to move with me , is that clear ?" Dr.Julide lectured.

"Yes , Dr.Julide!"

"It Looks like it won't ever be easy,"Burak hissed as the doctor left.