twenty-one

"Listen to my heartbeat,
it calls you whenever it wants to"

————————

I spent the Monday morning here in mom's car as I stared at my phone inside, still waiting for a beautiful boy named Kim Taehyung to text me back. I had sent him good morning and good night text messages, but he never replied to a single one. Is it really even his real phone number? I kept asking myself as I repeatedly hit my head against the window.

"What's wrong with you?" My mom asked. Her eyes focused on the road, and her brows furrowed in annoyance.

"Taehyung isn't texting me," I replied with a sigh.

"Then, call him."

"Call him?" I asked as if asking her if is she for real?. "No, he should be the one calling me first, and I don't want to sound like a possessive girlfriend, mom."

"I was just suggesting." She said. Once I saw students walking toward the school, the car stopped in front of the gate. I bid my mom goodbye and kissed her on the cheek before I climbed down. But then, she called me again. "Areum,"

"Yeah?" Mom pointed her finger at a boy standing in front of the gates of the school. I looked at where she was pointing and saw that it was that suspicious boy from the public school. When I looked at him, he smirked and waved his hand.

"Is he your friend?" She asked, and waved at the boy with a wide smile on her face.

"Uhm, yeah." I lied, awkwardly waving my hand at the boy. I didn't want to worry my mom that some random guy from the public school was talking to me, so I just lied. "I met him in a sport fest last year."

"Really? That's great! You're making friends outside of school." She smiled proudly.

Then, I turned to that boy when I saw him approaching our direction and stood next to me right outside the car. He draped his arm over the car door then bent down a little to greet my mom. "Good morning, Mrs. . ."

"Mrs. Kwon, dear." She said, extending her arm towards the boy, and the latter shook her hand. "You're such a good-looking man. Your skin looks so soft." She complimented, and he thanked her. "Well, I know you two have a lot of catching up to do, so I better go." She both looked at us, "Bye, kids!"

"Bye, mom."

"Bye, Mrs. Kwon." The boy closed the door shut before the vehicle lurched forward. As soon as mom's car left, I hurriedly walked my way towards the entrance gate. I didn't like staying with this creepy guy for long. But then, I heard him spoke. "Wow, now you're just being rude." He said with a raspy smug voice behind me which made me stop my mark.

I turned around to see him then walked two or three steps towards his direction, "What do you even want from me?" I was pissed. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Take it easy on me, baby girl. I came here for you. Don't get mad now." He faked sulking for a quick second then shoot me a smug smile.

"Don't call me that." I gritted my teeth, "Are you stalking me? Or probably Taehyung?" I glared at him, "What do you really want from us?"

"Didn't I come here to warn you about that kid? I'm actually here to help you."

"I don't need your help,"