Epilogue

Epilogue

~Last Chapter~

•Hayes Grier•

"She's going to make it through the surgery," Nash told me quietly in the waiting room. I sat in one of the seats stunned and stressed from the sudden news.

I booked the next flight and took a taxi to get here. I feel numb and sick to my stomach knowing that Char fell during her bar routine. I shouldn't have encouraged her to try the new skill I was working on with her. She should have had more time with it.

Currently Nash and Cam are sitting at both of my sides with a trash can in front of me. Kayla, Zach, Shawn, Grayson and Jacob are also here in the waiting room afraid to say anything to me in the state I'm in. Both of Chars teammates and coach Letev is here also waiting for news.

"What if she can't walk again?" I ask quietly. "I should have told her to wait on that skill."

"You didn't know this was going to happen. None of us did," Cam says.

"This is my fault."

"None of this is your fault."

"Yes it is Cam!" I raise my voice as more guilt runs through my veins. Everyone looks up towards me and I sigh with a groan. I put my face into my hands. "She could be paralyzed or even worse!" Coach Letev is making his way over.

"You can not blame yourself Mr.Grier," Coach Letev says and places a hand on my shoulder. "If anything, I should have not let her competed the bars tonight. I thought she was ready. She clearly has not fully recovered yet."

"What is going to happen to her? Gymnastics is her life."

"The fall was pretty severe and left her unconscious. This will change everything for her future."

"The Olympics..."

"She won't be prepared Hayes," Nash says lightly. "From the looks of her fall earlier, she won't be ready in time for trials. I don't know if gymnastics will be an option anymore."

"What about colleges? Her scholarships? What's going to happen?"

"Let's not worry about that right now," Coach Letev says looking down. "We should make sure she's going to be alright first and able to wake up." I nod. Since her fall, it has been several hours now. Almost eleven at night now. Has Aaron been notified about this? I look up and see everyone is looking at me.

"Has Aaron, Dustyn or Mrs.Carpenter been notified about this?"

"No..." Nash starts. "How about you give them a call? We should make sure they know." I stand and Jacob also stands making his way over to us.

"I'll make the call with you," Jacob says and I thank him before we make our way into a hall. "I hope they answer. "They better come here. They couldn't be this cruel when her life is on the line."

"I hope so," I say and take my phone out shakily. I put the phone on speaker as I click on Aaron's number. It takes a few minutes before it stops.

"Hayes?" We hear a tired voice. "What do you want?"

"This is important," I say trying to stay calm.

"Shouldn't you be in the middle of a plane ride?"

"Just... listen," I say shakily and close my eyes.

"Why do you sound like there has been some type of terrible accident. What's wrong?" I let Jacob hold the phone as I take a few deep breaths.

"Have you checked Twitter or the news lately?"