Ending

Limerence ~50

•Charlotte Carpenter•

Breath in and breath out I tell myself. I look around the arena as I step into it and realize the familiarity of regionals last year. This is it. I'm here again once more except the only difference this time, I need my qualifying scores and placement for nationals and to tryout for the Olympic trials.

After the long but enjoyable ride here, I could really go for a stretch. I walk in further more to look for my team and I find them by the bars where our seats are. I walk up to them and Eva is the first to spot me. She stands immediately and comes over to me, giving me a crushing hug.

"You made it!" Eva says. "Thank goodness you made it in time."

"It's great to be back here," I half smile. Coach Letev and coach Lee approaches us.

"I assume everything went well with Hayes?" Coach Lee asks. I nod.

"That's great to hear. Ready to lead Eva and Tess?"

"Sure thing Coach." Today and tomorrow is the competition for senior elite girls. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday is for the rest of the girls who is on the junior level. There are three girls from my gym, including me who trains at the elite level. The rest of my club team is above us, here to watch us and cheer us on. I also notice that Shawn and Jacob has found my team and they are sitting close by.

I wave to all them and they wave back holding up signs and cutout heads of me, Eva and Tess. I smile at them as I turn to Tess and Eva.

"Ready to warm up a little bit before our big walkout?" Tess asks.

"Let's do this," I smile and we start with our skipping on the floor.

~Five in the evening~

Everyone from the east region of the US is here today as all the senior elite gymnasts are about to march out into the Arena. My two teammates and I stand together. A team stands from behind and from in front as each gym will be announced alphabetically.

There's about seventy seven of us while the other seventy seven are participating in the western coast regionals. Crazy to think that it isn't as many compared to the other levels. A hundred and fifty four girls competing at regionals and nationals then for those very few spots to be on the Olympic team.

Between four and seven spots are given for the Olympic spot depending on the committee's choice.

Soon we hear the music start to play throughout the arena and the halls we are standing in. Each gymnast has their club jackets on as the line begins to move. As we approach the arena, My eyes adjust to the spotlight and you can semi hear the announcer announcing the club teams. I smile as we get into the arena and wave all around as we walk. We follow the team in front and we are surrounding ourselves, in line, around the exercise floor. Lots of flashing cameras and cheering is going on at once.

This is what I've always worked for my whole life. This is my last year here also because after the Olympics, if I make it, plan to do gymnastics in college. My whole life, today is the day there are college scouts who are here to see all of us.

I look up towards the stands to see Shawn, Jacob, Cameron, Nash, Kayla, Zach and Grayson all there. They see me looking towards them and they cheer with excitement. I smile feeling happy that they are here for me and it makes my heart swell. I wave to them before I turn towards the mat where soon, the announcer explains where we are starting.

We are starting on floor with several other girls and I smile at my teammates as we first walk over to the bench to take our jacket and sweatpants off. I carefully take my locket off and smile at it before putting it safety in my bag. I take a quick drink of water before the three of us make our way to the floor. Pictures could be taken after our floor routine.