Talk

Limerence ~7

Charlotte Carpenter's

"I'm really proud of you Hayes," I say shyly trying to start a conversation with him as I start to back out of my parking spot. He sighs and looks towards the window and I glance at him. "What?"

"Don't try to make conversation with me," he says rather harshly.

"What is wrong with you? I'm trying to be nice. I don't understand why you've turned into a jerk. We used to be best friends Hayes. What happened?"

"What's wrong with me? How about what's wrong with you? Why would you ever think it was a great idea for you to come and get me? We're not friends anymore and I prefer it that way. I have better friends and a better life without you in it." I bite the inside of my lip. If only I had the guts to tell him to get out of my car. Sadly, I'm a nice person.

"Take that back," I say softly. "You don't mean any of this. Whatever I did, I want to fix it. I'm willing to change whatever it is you have against me." It takes him a few moments to answer.

"Quit gymnastics."

"What?" My eyes widens and we approach traffic. I turn my head to him. He's already looking at me with no emotion.

"I want you to quit gymnastics. If you want things to be the way it is, then quit."

"You know I can't do that."

"Yes you can."

"This is my dream Hayes and you've known that since we were in kindergarten. Going to the olympics."

"Then I guess you don't want things to return to normal then."

"You're being selfish. I've worked my entire life for this," I say my voice weakening. I realize how heavy the traffic is.

"Then I guess I know what's more important."

"You know I've always thought of you as important. You've been one of my top priority. Our friendship was one of my top priorities."

"I've been your number two. You put gymnastics way over the top."

"You said you were okay with that! You knew how much training I would have to do to chase for my dreams. I can't be in two places at once. You told me to follow it!"

"And you were dumb to listen to me!" I shake my head and pull out of the traffic towards the side into a parking lot. A market in fact. "What are you doing?" I ignore him and park putting the car on park. I take my seat belt off not wanting to break out in front of him. "Char-"

"Just shut the hell up Hayes!" I raise my voice slightly. I lay my head against the wheel trying to take deep breaths. I close my eyes for a moment. At first it's silent before I decide to speak. "Can you drive?" I ask quietly.

"What?" He asks. I sit back into my seat and look at him who looks slightly annoyed, but respecting my space.

"Can you drive? Unless you want us to crash."

"My mom took my license away..." I stare at him. What did he do so bad that she took his lisence also?

"Well I need a moment right now." I open the door and take my keys out. I walk away from the car leaving Hayes there and walk over to the bench trying to calm myself. Ethan and Grayson has really changed him. I don't know what they have done to him, but I know it's not the same Hayes I used to know. I let myself slouch slightly so I can bring my face to my hands.

~Ten minutes later~

I hear a car door slam and a presence sits next to me. I don't bother to look knowing it's Hayes. He's probably bored and mad that we're here and not almost at Cameron's party. I don't really care at the moment. I'd rather be here than feeling off and possibly getting into an accident. At first he doesn't say anything.

"Are you going to be alright?" He asks. "Do you want me to get you something?"

"I'm fine," I say softly. "Just needed air." He doesn't say anything and I sigh pulling my face away. "Let's go before Cam worries about us. Don't want him to get suspicious." I stand and he follows me back to the car. Once we both have our seatbelts on, I start the car taking a different route to the apartment. Another twenty five minutes of silence be we reach the apartment. Once we reach there, we go in and wait for someone to open the door. Nash opens for us and Hayes walks right in. I make my way in and see he has made his way over where Cameron, Grayson, Ethan and my brother are. I notice I have been standing and Nash chuckles making his way over to them.

"You joining us Char?" Everyone stops what they are doing to look at me. It's only Hayes who doesn't look my way.

"Can I use your balcony for a moment?" I ask trying to hide how upset I am at the moment.

"Yeah, no problem. Just holler if you need anything." I nod making my way out and let out a big breath before my eyes waters and I sit on one of the cushioned chairs. I let my thoughts roam for a bit until I hear the balcony door open and I quickly trying to wipe my eyes. I look up to see a concerned Grayson. He takes a seat beside me.

"What did Hayes say to you?" I shake my head not ready to talk at the moment. He hesitantly wraps an arm around me and I let my face bury to his sweater and he begins to rub my back. We stay like this until my eyes would stop from flowing with tears and I felt calmer. I look down at my lap knowing Grayson is looking at me.

"You're being a great friend right now," I spoke quietly.

"I thought you could really use one right now. When you and Hayes came in together, I knew right away that there was something wrong."

"He wanted me to quit gymnastics."

"What? Why?"

"That was the only way he was willing to try with our friendship again."

"You didn't agree to it did you? You're an amazing gymnast. You're chasing your dreams to go to the Olympics. You can't just give that all up."

"I don't want to give up my dream. I'm not going to. He used to be my biggest supporter," I sigh. I let my fingers go through my hair. "I just... Miss him. The way everything used to be."

"Do you want me to talk to him?"

"I don't think it will help. What if he gets mad?"

"I'll talk to him. You continue to be you, alright?" I nod and give him a small smile. "Now how about we head inside. Dinner is going to be ready soon."

•What's wrong with you Hayes? Jk I still love you. What happened to supporting Charlotte?