Busy Thoughts

•I've now been accepted into 2 of my top 3 universities for the fall. I don't think I could be any happier at the moment. Waiting to hear from one more school 🎓

Limerence ~30

•Charlotte Carpenter•

Ten minutes Hayes. He knows I have to get back to my gym to practice before we can actually head back to my house. I twiddle with my figures with the engine running wondering what he could be up to. Feeling like the week has started off terrible. It shouldn't be a surprise to me that I feel stressed and tired.

I hear a door open and I look up to see Hayes coming out of the building. My heart escalates rapidly at the sight of him with his things. He immediately makes his way towards the car and once he approaches, I unlock the door and he opens the door to the back to put his things in before getting into the passenger seat.

He shuts the door and leans back with a happy sigh. I haven't seen him this excited and happy about something in a long time. A really good mood actually. He puts his seatbelt on and I put the car on drive.

"You're in a very good mood."

"Yeah," he grins and turns to me. "My dreams are coming true Char. I can't believe it's really happening."

"The UCLA lacrosse coach has been in contact with you?"

"Sort of. Yeah. He's actually going to be coming here and he's going to see me and Ethan play for our tournament in about 3 weeks. He's really interested in us and I think he's going to be offering us our Scholarship there."

"Hayes, that's amazing," I half smile continuing to look straight ahead at the road. "I knew you could do it," I say softly. I wouldn't know who wouldn't want Hayes to play for their team in college. He's amazing and passionate about it.

"This has honestly been the best day of my life! And, they want me to leave with them to campus and stay there for a few weeks."

"That's awesome. When would you go there?"

"Right after the tournament on October 4th."

"Oh," I bite my lip. Same day as my competition. The day before my birthday too. "That's cool. where is that tournament at again?"

"New York." I nod as I feel so many emotions hitting me at once. Why would I ever think at this point he would go to any of my competitions? He hasn't gone to one since we were thirteen. I'll be in Boston anyway. He'd never go there to see me anyway.

"I'm happy for you. I hope you have a great time." He nods as we pull into the parking lot of my gym and I turn the engine off. I get out and wait for him to get one of his bags before locking the door. I start to make my way to the gym with him following behind.

Don't show him how weak you are Char. You have to be happy for him. This is huge news for him.
You've supported him all of these years. You've always had his back and now his hard work has paid off. He's really happy. That's what mattered the most to you for him to be happy.

I walk into the gym and make my way over to the bars now where my bag is. Both of my coaches looks towards me from the other side of the gym because they are coaching the club team. Hayes appears up in the glass room and motions to me that he's going to shower. I smile slightly and nod as I put my grips on, starting to warm up bars.

You've always supported Hayes and never stopped believing in him when he pushed you away. You always secretly would go to his games and tournaments because it was something you enjoyed going to. Even if you were alone. I'd watch from the stands of fans and secretly cheer him on trying to now attract any attention. Seeing him play makes me happy and he looks like he enjoys it out there on the field.

I swing on the bars practicing a few basics. The only thing my mind wanders to now is Hayes. He was your best friend, first crush, and biggest fan. Then it all went away once high school started. Feeling the slight discomfort of chest pain as I swing. Missing him and missing the way he would always be there used to keep me going.

I loved how he used to watch me from the stands and yell my name right before I would compete an event. He held a sign with my name on it and I could always find it wherever he was standing. He was my biggest supporter, my biggest fan. After the competition, he would always find me at the end and hand me flowers with a note saying how proud he was of me. He would hug me tightly and I never wanted to let go.

Little did I know that would be the last time we really hung out as best friends. He stopped caring and pushed me away when Grayson and Ethan moved here. He acted as if I was a loser. He left me and continued with his life, happily.

He doesn't like you Charlotte. He never did. He even said this past weekend meant nothing to him. It meant everything to me and just threw it my face like he wasn't a human being.

"Charlotte!" My mind spinning and I let go and fall face first feeling impact to my face. I yelp out in panic and pain not wanting to move. I can hear the girls from a distance and a rush of people running over to me. I felt a hand to my shoulder. I hear a burst to the door but can tell who.

"Charlotte dear," Coach Letev said calmly as possible from behind me. The only thing you can hear are my heaving breathing. "Is your neck okay?" I nod as I am now being slowly lifted off my face into a sitting position. I'm blinded by the lights at first then the heavy tears from the chalk getting in my eyes. I bring my grip to my nose and wince at the pain and unfamiliar numbness.

My vision now focuses and I see all the club girls with wide eyes and shock. I feel really dizzy. I take the hand with the grips on away from my nose and notice the amount of blood coming out of my nose. Almost dripping like sweat.

"Someone please get tissues," coach Lee says walking over towards me now. "And someone get our athletic trainer in here." I look towards where coach Letev is and see Hayes standing there were horror in his eyes and afraid of what he has probably just witnessed. His mouth parted in shock with his hair still dripping from his fresh shower. He's in sweatpants and a sweatshirt now.

"Charlotte," coach Letev says softly. "Are you alright?" I shake my head feeling really shaky. I look towards where my face landed to see small droplets of blood on the mat. "Girls, take a break." Everyone nods and looks away heading over to the bench out of our view.

"Should I call your mom Charlotte?" Coach Lee asks with her phone in his hand. I shake my head no slightly. "How about your brother?" I nod slightly. I close my eyes in pain and bring my grip back to my nose.

"Mr.Grier, could you please stay here with her while I talk to the athletic trainer?" Coach Letev asks standing.

"Of course, yeah. I can do that," I hear Hayes' gentle voice and in a swift movement, someone is sitting beside me. I open my eyes and turn my head to see coach Lee has also left for a moment to get ahold of my brother and Hayes sitting beside me with the most concern. He wraps an arm around me and looks down at my free hand. He carefully takes my grip off for me.

"It hurts," I croak. The first words coming out of my mouth. He frowns slightly and looks as if he was in pain to see me like this. He takes my free hand with his and gives it a small squeeze.

"What was going through your mind when you were practicing?" You.

"I-I don't know." He sighs and looks directly at me and holds me upright.

"You really have to be careful. You scared the living daylight out of me when I was watching from above. I thought you broke your neck." I notice his eyes watering. "Please don't scare me like that ever again."

"I'm sorry." We hear someone approach us and Hayes turns away. We see Eva, one of the level eight girls with lots of tissues and hands them to Hayes.

"Thank You," he says to her. She nods and looks towards me.

"I hope you get better soon Char," Eva says to me before returning back to the rest of her team.

~
I've been addicted to writing this story, I hope all of you like the upcoming future updates 💙