Chapter 44- The Marketplace

Start from the beginning

Camelia gulped heavily.  Should she trust Nora? It could be a trap. 

"What if you get caught?  Why would you put yourself and your baby at risk like this?"

Nora glanced over her shoulder worriedly and re-directed her attention back to Camelia. 

"Did you not hear what I said?"  She answers exasperated. "You are my competition.  No one has held his interest so easily!  You are a threat to my livelihood and that of my unborn child's!  Now, quickly get dressed and leave from the door I will leave unlocked.  I cannot help you from here, you must go on your own.  The souk is beyond the palace walls, go past the gates and you shall be set free!" 

Before Camelia could question her more, Nora turned and quickly left cautiously before closing the door behind her. 

She stood there for a few seconds trying to process all Nora had said.  Ridding her head of her confusion and not believing her luck, Camelia strode to the door and nudged the heavy wooden door with a finger.  It slid silently open.  Nora left it unlocked like she said she would.

She closed it quickly and backed away needing to come up with a plan to escape. 

First, she'd need to cover herself. It would be impossible to climb, run, or swim if she needed to if she were noticed dressed in slaves garb. 

A small trunk was tucked into a corner, and hoped surged through her. Within moments, Camelia was kneeling before the chest and raising the lid. Gowns, lingerie, robes, scarves and several different cloaks were inside. She held up a red abaya–a simple loose over-garment that resembled a robe-like dress. She held it away from her unfolding it.

It would cover her whole body.

Helping herself, she slips the distinctive traditional garb over her head and grabs a niqab–a veil which would aid in covering her face but her eyes, and a head scarf that would hide her hair. Facing the mirror fixed against the wall she smiles grimly. It was the first time she'd worn anything so traditional. It almost felt like a costume and the perfect disguise to help her escape unnoticed.

Moments later, she takes a quick peek into the hallway, making sure the door really was unguarded, and stood just inside the doorway. She was surprised the door wasn't guarded. 

The servants probably didn't think she was strong nor smart enough to run away with their master being so evil. In spite of herself, Camelia smiled, closed the door behind her as if it was never disturbed and sneaked down the long tan colored marbled floor and proceeded down the hallway noiselessly.

Her courage dwindled, however, when she caught the first faint murmur of voices ahead of her. Their footsteps were quickly approaching as soon as she neared the end of the long hallway. There was no room to turn around and retreat and so Camelia hid, pressing her body in a small corner of a gold pillar molding the wall.  

A moment of paralyzing fear rushed through her, threatening to break her resolve. Camelia prayed and prayed, staying as still as a statue, watching a pair of passing women dressed in traditional clothing.

That was too close.

Camelia didn't have a single plan in her mind, but she was determined not to wait until she was placed on a gold platter for the pleasures of the sultan as Nora so plainly informed her. Not only would she cruelly be used, she would be killed long after she'd begun to pray for death.