Chapter 43- Checkmate

At the end of the cigar, the ashes burned a flaring bright orange with every puff he took. 

In the distance a owl hooted, it's mournful sound signaling danger was approaching. Settled in his chair of his study, in the darkness, camouflaged by the shadows wrapping around his body, Julien waits casually, one leg crossed over the other.  A gun, with a silencer attached to the barrel meant to reduce the sounds of a firing shot rested on his knee ready to fire.

For the last two days he waited. Patiently waiting for the opportunity to strike where he could finally end part of the plague overtaking his family. This night retribution closely approached.

Julien felt it in every bone of his body.

The door handle rattled. Julien eyes zero in like a hawk as the door opened.

It's time.

The intruder entered cautiously and closes the door behind him slowly not making the slightest of sounds. He turns on a small flashlight hovering above the gun he carried and silently beamed the light around the study.

Julien's silver sharp hawk like eyes drift towards the gun in the black gloved hands.

"Took your time."  Julien speaks calmly, in a cavalier attitude, studying him in the darkness.   "I've been expecting you."

The intruder whirls, pointing his gun and flashlight at the voice. 

Julien's silver eyes gleamed in the glow.

"Who goes there?"  Jason says in a heavily laced British accent, his nostrils flaring as he exhaled explosively.  A surge of irritation lacing his words.

Julien taps the end of his cigar in the ashtray to his left.  The lights in his study come to life by the click of the remote laying on the table beside the ashtray. 

Julien flicks a imaginary spec of dust from his sleeve, cocking an eyebrow, his full mouth curved in amusement as he shook his head. His eyes were chips of ice as they met Jason's.

"Who goes there?  Are you daft boy, use your brain.  Who else could be waiting here in the dark?" 

"Ah, yes, my apologies."  Jason's responds with a mocking bow, taking in Julien's relaxed stance.  "The notorious Julien St. James.  The so called man who put my father away and ruined our lives because of a woman."

Julien took another puff of his cigar before resting it on the ashtray and raised an eyebrow. "It's a pleasure, I'm sure."

"And now your daughter will pay with her life for the wrongs of the past."  Jason adds, a scowl appearing on his face.  "And my father will finally feel retribution.  As will I."  He adds. 

"Tsk, tsk, tsk." Julien said softly, clucking his tongue at him.

A muscle ticked in Jason's cheek.  "You will die today, old man. And when I'm done killing you, your cold hearted wife is next."

"Die?"  Julien echoed thoughtfully, rubbing his chin.  "Such strong words from such a weak, spineless man." He spoke softly, with an underlying edge.

Jason's shoulders straightened. His eyes flashed briefly with anger as he moved across the room and closer to Julien's position pointing his gun directly toward his chest. 

Jason's eyes take in Julien's gun.

"You are the weak one." He responds, his nostrils flaring. "Surely you can see this vendetta needs to end.  I've come to collect on that and leave you with a momento."