Always Guard Your Heart

The week went by dreadfully slow and when Friday finally came around, his stomach was a bundle of nerves. He was actually panicking, he was so nervous and this was his best friend... the person that knew him more than anyone, even more than his brother did. So why was he so nervous?

"You doing alright there, Killian?" Belle asked him as he poured himself some coffee in the break-room, only he missed the mug from not paying attention and spilled it on his shirt.

He hissed as he felt the hot liquid burn through the material. Belle handed him a dry rag and he attempted to dry himself, rubbing at the area furiously.

"Well, it doesn't appear that I am, does it lass?" he managed with a small smile.

"Well, I've seen you more graceful," she laughed. "I take it you're nervous about tonight?"

"Aye. I don't think I've ever been so nervous in my life."

"Well, you really need to relax. You have nothing to be worried about. You've got Emma this far."

"I just don't want to screw this up. And I don't think I can handle being pushed away again. I'd do anything for her, but everyone has their breaking point."

"I know, Killian, but you can't think about that. What happened to the confident and optimistic Killian that I know?" She asked with an encouraging smile.

"That Killian left when Emma said she would go on a date with him," he replied with a light laugh.

"I'm sure the date will go fine. Don't sweat it."

"I hope you're right, Belle."

After Killian left the agency, his palms started to sweat. He had spent all week planning for this day. He wanted to make the night was as special as possible and he wanted it to last. He even made an itinerary for the evening that included everything they would be doing. As silly as he felt typing it up, they had alot to do in one night. He wanted to cover all the bases; entertainment, dinner, desert and of course romance. And since he made a promise that he wouldn't get her flowers, the kids at the agency made a bouquet of paper mâché carrots with long leaves for stems and tied it together with ribbon for him to give to her. With everything planned, all that was left was to get showered and dressed. She was leaving work at eight o'clock, so he still had a couple of hours to get ready.

After he took a shower and trimmed his stubble, he put on a black suit with a red button-up shirt and a light amount of cologne. He then messed with his hair for about half an hour until he was satisfied with it, even though he didn't know why he was going through all this effort to impress her. She always preferred him in jeans and a t-shirt anyway but he wanted to go the distance for her because how often does someone get the privilege to go in a date with Emma Swan?

Before he left the house, he grabbed the itinerary and the carrot bouquet. It was an unseasonably warm evening as he pulled up to the hospital. It wasn't dark yet but the sun was descending in the sky, leaving a warm shade of gray, almost purple.

Killan grabbed the bouquet and went around to lean on the passenger side as Emma walked out. The sight took his breath away. She was wearing a light layer of makeup and a light purple dress that almost sparkled against the color of the air. She had on a long, beige trench coat over her dress with her purse strapped to her shoulder.

He walked forward to meet her halfway. "You look... amazing." 

Blush crept into her cheeks as she smiled lightly. "Thank you."

He pulled the carrot bouquet from behind his back and she let out a soft laugh as she took it.

"You said no flowers, but you didn't say anything about carrots. And these were made by the kids, so I figured you wouldn't mind."