Never Make Promises

Killian was busy at work the next day with paperwork, while trying hard not to think about Emma. He was trying not to get too excited for the things he could potentially have with her. The make-up sex was out of this world and there were heartfelt words exchanged, but still, he didn't want to get his hopes up. He was going to follow Belle's advice and take things slow, which was rather contradicting to their situation, considering they were having sex. Therefore, he was taking it off the table.

The physical part they already had down and was not an issue, but lately, they had lost that mental connection they used to have. They used to stay up all night on the bed, just talking about school and other nonsense, and she would be inbetween his legs, her back against his chest as he held her. Or they would sit next to each other in comfortable silence while they were both involved in different things like schoolwork or reading. He very much wanted that back. And the only way to do that was to take the physical element out of the relationship, for now at least. He wasn't sure how he would present this to her yet, but he couldn't really think about that now.

It had been a really stressful day at work and his mission was to find a home for two orphans, Adam and Ava. They were brother and sister who he had gotten off the street four years ago and put clothes on their backs and food in their bellies. He didn't claim to have favorites, but the other children came and gone as they found a home with other families, but Adam and Ava have been there the longest and Killian knew it was because couples looking to adopt usually only wanted one child, not siblings. And there was no way he would break these two up. He would die before he let that happen. Lord knows how he would have gotten through the orphanage if he didn't have his brother there with him.

He promised them that he would find them a home before Adam reached his tenth birthday, which was approaching in six months. He knew he shouldn't have made him that promise for fear of getting their hopes up just to be dissapointed but he couldn't let them stay any longer. He vividly remembered when he was a young boy, himself, that after being in Neverland for so long, he started to lose hope. He thought he would never be able to leave that place. Granted, the agency that he had built was a much better place than the orphanage. The children had much more freedom and weren't kept like prisoners.

The counselors would take them out to the park everyday and other fun places, allowing them be children. They were also sent off to school every morning and were encouraged to read and draw and be involved in other creative or educational activities. And of course, if they needed to talk about any emotional struggles, the counselors listened and treated them with respect and kindness as they offered advice and encouragement. The agency was meant to be a home, not a prison and Killian made sure of that everyday.

"Knock knock." The sound of Emma's voice brought him out of his work and he looked up to greet her.

"Morning, love." He stood up and walked around his desk to stand in front of her, placing a chaste kiss to her cheek. "What are you doing here? I thought you were working."

"I was, but remember I'm meeting my sister and mom today to help Lily find a wedding dress."

"Right. Sorry, love. I've been a bit preoccupied today."

"I know. It's okay." Emma cupped his face, soothing the worry lines from the corner of his eyes and kissed his lips. He instantly felt the stress being lifted from his shoulders as their mouths parted softly against one another.

"Ewe, that's icky!"

Emma laughed as she broke the kiss and turned around to see Adam standing behind her with a look of disgust.

"Sorry, Adam. Didn't mean to gross you out."

"Are you two boyfriend and girlfriend now?" he asked as Emma took his small hand.