Don't Get Attached

The raindrops trickled down the glass from outside Emma's bedroom window, the sound soothing to her ears as she tried to sleep. She shifted slightly as she felt his warm body pressed to hers. Mornings like this were rare and far between and normally, she would use such precious moments to sleep, or to engage in other enjoyable activities with her best friend, but just being in his arms was enough. She was wide awake, anyway, even though her body was completely exhausted from an eighteen-hour shift at the hospital. It was irritating to her how all she wanted to do at work was sleep, and yet, when she got home, she could do anything but sleep. However, she could feel nothing but content with his arm holding her waist like gravity had pulled it directly to that spot. She felt safe and secure with him there, like she could just stay there forever with him. She would never tell him that though. That would be breaking one of their rules. They were already breaking the 'no snuggling in bed with their clothes on' rule as it was.

Emma had felt alone most of her life, even after she was adopted by loving parents. There was also her sister, Lily, who she fought with all of the time and had spent endless nights staying awake just talking to. She had those people in her life who loved her, but she still felt like there was piece of her that didn't fit quite right. That piece made her feel unbelievably alone on occasion, but being with him seemed to always fill that void ever since the day they met. Sighing softly, she recalled in her mind that day, not being able to believe that it had been fifteen years since then. Grabbing his hand, she threaded her fingers through his, and held it to her lips, his scent comforting to her senses. She loved the feeling of his skin on her lips. She also loved the feeling of her heart skipping a beat every time they kissed. She would never tell him that though.

Closing her eyes, her mind drifted to that significant day, the memories so vivid in her head.

*****

Emma was sitting against a tree, holding her knees to her chest as her feet lay flat on the solid ground. It was her first day at the Neverland Orphanage in Maine after thirteen years of being in the foster system. She was a loner and always kept to herself; she preferred it that way. She didn't like socializing with kids she would probably never see again after they would eventually be adopted, leaving her there, wishing that it was her who was being taken away from this life. Emma decided long ago, never get attached. Always look out for yourself and you'll never get hurt. Which is why she scoffed when someone chose to sit next to her, so rudely invading her space. She started moving to get up when she looked over and her green eyes were met with impossibly blue ones.

The owner of those amazing eyes smiled at her and extended a hand.

"You must be new. I'm Killian Jones."

Emma suddenly found it hard to breathe. She had seen a number of cute boys in her short life, but this one in particular made her heart skip a beat. He had dark hair and dimples and an amazing smile. Her eyes drifted to his hand in hesitation before she shook it.

"Emma Swan."

When he released her hand, he scratched a spot behind his ear and she could tell he was trying to think of something to say. She leaned her head back against the tree, praying he would go away.

"So... um, did you come here alone?"

She sighed as she looked up towards the sky when her prayers were not answered. Dropping her head, she looked at him again. Bad idea.

There was such sweetness in his kind eyes, she just found it hard to abandon them. She nodded her head to answer his question.

"You?"

"No. I'm here with my brother." Killian looked down as his eyes became sad and he pulled at a patch of grass, tossing it to the ground. "Our mother died of cancer and our father left in the middle of the night."