11: Doctor of the Dead (final part)

"We've gone to a great deal of effort to find you, Mr. Murphy." Kurtz said, a smile afterwards.

"I've been on a little road trip." Murphy sassed.

"Well, your journey ends here. You're safe now," Kurtz said. "And yore friends are to be commended for their bravery and commitment. Your country, all mankind, owes you a great deal." He smiled again.

"What's gonna happen to him?" Warren asked.

"Well we'll take him the rest of the way to the lab in California where we'll sequence his genes and clone the antibodies on his blood." He explained. "And with any luck, we'll be able to recreate the vaccine that's keeping him alive." He continued with that stupid smile at the end.

"What if I don't wanna be your Guinea pig?" Murphy asked.

"Well then you'll eventually wind up just like Brendon Doyle," Kurtz replied. "Patient Zero over there. Speaking of which, someone should really give that poor creature mercy."

"I'll do it." Murphy said almost instantly.

Warren handed Murphy her machete we all watched as he approached Brendon. Murphy whispered something, then mercied him. He turned around quickly.

"I'm not going." Murphy said.

"Murphy," Warren gasped. "This is why we came this far."

"Explain to me again why I should believe anything you say." Murphy growled to Kurtz

I hid half of my body behind 10K, gripping his arm. He placed his hand on my belly again and stood all the way in front of me.

"Let's start with you have no choice." Kurtz said, walking closer to Murphy and Warren.

Warren grabbed her machete and pointed it at Kurtz. "What are you doing?"

"Just a precaution," Kurtz replied.

"Now hold on a minute," Doc interrupted. "Ain't no reason to jump bad. He's just nervous. Right, Murphy?"

Doc, 10K, and I all turned our heads over to Murphy. I was biting 10K's shirt, which sounds kind of weird, but it helped me relax and 10K didn't mind.

Murphy didn't reply. Which made us all worried.

"He's actually very civic minded." Doc added when Murphy didn't give an answer.

"Really, this is so unnecessary. No ones going to harm you, Mr. Murphy."

I saw 10K glance to the computer. I turned my head and gripped 10K's arm. It was showing Citizen Z holding a sign and yelling; "Kill the Doctor!"

A loud knocking sounded at the door.

"Just a zombie. Give it mercy so it won't attract more." Kurtz said, not even thinking twice about it.

"Zombies can't open doors, can they?" The guard asked.

The door opened. 10K drew his knife. When the door opened, my heart broke.

It was Cassandra.

10K POV---

My stomach dropped. I couldn't believe my eyes. She was breathing heavily, a bite mark was on her cheek. Her eyes were golden and glowing.

"Don't shoot." She said slowly.

"She's a zombie. Mercy her." Kurtz ordered.

I felt Maddi's grip get tighter on my shirt. She want biting it anymore, which made me worried.