4: Sisters Of Mercy

"Hey, look. It's a kid." Doc whispered.

I looked out the window. A kid without legs was laying on the side of the road.

"It's not a kid anymore. It's zombie road kill now." Murphy said.

I rolled my eyes and focused on the road again.

"Oh man, a another kid with a weird flowered shirt." Doc said.

"Warren, stop the car. Warren it's just a boy!" Addy yelled.

Warren stopped the car and Addy jumped out. She raised her Z-Whacker and paused. She wasn't moving and the boy zombie was getting closer. 10K got his sniper ready, but Addy snapped out of it and gave the boy mercy. Warren got out of the car. Addy stormed back.

"You okay?" Mack asked her. She nodded and took his hand.

"We got a live one." Warren said.

She stopped the car and got out. She talked with him for a few minutes and came back.

"Water." She said. Doc handed her a canteen.

She talked a little bit more with the boy and they walked back together.

"Murphy, move." Cassandra hissed.

"Hey, I'm Mack." Mack greeted.

"Hi. I'm Maddi. What's your name?" I asked.

"I'm Sam. Nice to meet you." The boy replied. He shook my hand.

10K came down from looking out of the sun roof. He sat next to me and smiled at Sam.

"So, what's the deal now?" Mack asked.

"He knows a place where they can help us. Give us food and maybe help Cassandra with her leg." Warren replied.

Cassandra had cut her leg pretty bad on some barbed wire. It wasn't cared for properly and it got infected. She can't walk and she's getting sick.

"Are they good people?" I asked Sam.

"Yeah." Sam replied. "They can help you."

I nodded and felt 10K put a hand on my thigh. I shivered and placed a hand on his.

"Do you trust him?" 10K whispered in my ear.

"He's just a kid. Why shouldn't we trust him?" I whispered back, furrowing my eyebrows.

"The world's different now. Even kids can be bad news." 10K whispered.

"I trust him." I said. I smiled at Sam. He smiled back.

"Have you been with these people long?" I asked. I wanted to start a conversation.

"Kind of." Sam shrugged.

"Why were you out here all by yourself?" I asked.

"I was going to Salt Lake City to see my dad." Sam replied like he rehearsed it a million times.

"Salt Lake City? We were just there, it's overrun." I said.

"That's what that lady said. My friends are there right now." Sam argued.

I thought back to the kid Z's we saw. They wore the same flowered shirt like Sam and looked about the same age. I tried to think of reasons of them making it to Salt Lake City... But part of me didn't believe they made it.

"Is this the place?" Warren asked.

"Yep." Sam replied.

I looked at 10K who was focused on watching the road. I squeezed his hand.