Chapter 8: A Very Crafty Gift

Start from the beginning

I sit on the wet ground with my arms around my knees for what feels like hours until I see a pair of blinding headlights coming up the road.  They stop in front of me and a tall woman figure steps out of the car.  Her deep red hair is already dripping with rain, her cheeks are flushed and her eyes are puffy and red.

"CARRIE!" she cries, running over to me and cradling me like a baby.  "Oh my God, no!  Carrie, talk to me!  Talk to me, baby sis!"

I wrap my shaky and wet arms around my big sister and whisper, "Help...me..."

"I'm gonna get you to a hospital," she says reassuringly, hugging me closer to where my face is buried in the warmth of her rain jacket.  "You're gonna be okay, Carrie.  I'm not gonna leave you, I promise..."

**END**

She clung to me like her final lifeline. I felt myself tremble and shudder against her body, my tears dripping onto her blouse.

"I am so sorry," she whispered comfortingly. "You know you are the only thing in the world that matters to me. You're all I've got now, and I'm not losing you anytime soon."

"I know," I said, trying to choke back my sobs. "I love you, big sis. You're my family."

Ruby stroked my hair softly, swaying me slowly back and forth in her arms.

We stood there hugging and crying for what felt like hours until I heard my phone ding with a new text message. Ruby and I let go of each other and I pulled out my phone.

It was a new message from Jordan.

"Looking forward to tonight :) i actually have a little surprise for you. See you and Ruby at 6:45."

"Is that Jordan?" Ruby asked, wiping her teary eyes on her shirt.

I nodded and dabbed my eyes with Jordan's jacket. "Uh-huh."

Suddenly, Ruby's face turned serious and surprised.

"Wait a second," said Ruby suspiciously, pinching Jordan's jacket between her fingers. "This isn't yours. Where did you get this?"

It took only a blushing face and a slight smirk to make Ruby catch the hint about whose jacket it was.

For the next hour and a half, I told Ruby about the photo shoot and about Jordan's invitation to the festival. Ruby was ecstatic.

"Oh my God!" she cried happily. "This is so exciting! My little sis is going on a date!"

"Well, it's not really a date," I said blushing. "I mean, you're coming."

"So what?" she replied. "I still consider it a date!"

I rolled my eyes. "Well, we've got a few hours before they get here. What should we do?"

"Oh!" said Ruby quickly. "Let me see those pictures from the photo shoot!"

We curled up on the couch and cycled through all 175 photos, commenting on the gorgeousness of his eyes and the cuteness of his smile.  And that adorable little quiff of hair...

We ended up giggling and laughing for four hours.  When I finally looked at my watch again, it was already 5:30.

"Shit!" I cried, jumping up from the couch. "Mark and Jordan will be here in an hour! We've got to get ready!"

"Hmm," said Ruby, studying me, "okay, but you have to let me curl your hair for this!"

I looked at Ruby with wide eyes. "Curls? Really? You know I don't like curls!"