Surprise at the Cave

My life has become a routine. I wake up, get dressed, go to the Academy. I horse around with Naruto, occasionally skip school with him and run around playing pranks until we get caught. When we do, we either get sent to the Hokage for a lecture, then back to the Academy for another lecture, or vice versa. When school is done with, I either hang around with Naruto some more, or train and chill with Guy's team, talking with Tenten, training with Neji or avoiding Lee as he tries to hit on me *shudders*. When that's all done, I get a meal at Ichiraku's, maybe meet Naruto there and talk, then go home and fall asleep. Then, repeat.

In order to keep myself from dying of boredom and routine, sometimes I would go a day or two in the forest, near the cave. There, I would anything I feel like doing, whether it be training with my fans, a dip in the lake, or curl in the cave and have a long needed rest. The only other person who could possibly know about the cave would be Tenten, but thankfully she forgot. So, it gives me a sense of solitude, and is a great relaxing point with a hot spring nearby.

Today, I was going to the cave for a different purpose. There were accumulated rumors of a winged monster devouring wild animals, from small birds to even grown boars! The reason for such concern was because: when the winged creature gets done with all the animals, just what do you think it's next meal will be, hm? Yeah, you guessed it. Humans.

So, after listening to a private meeting between the Hokage and the adult shinobi, - What? Eavesdropping? Nooo, I was merely... Uh, concerned! Yeah, concerned, for my village. Heh heh, yeah... - I learned that the creature was hiding in the forest, possibly near my cave. So, here I am, running towards possible danger instead of from it. Yeah, I know, curiosity killed the dog, blah blah blah... Wait, what? It's cat, not dog? Hmph! Well, you know what I mean!

Anyway, when I got to the cave, I noticed several variety of bones scattered near the entrance. I eyed the mouth, my suspicions confirmed. Whatever this monster was, it was sheltering inside my cave. I took out one of my fans and began cautiously stepping forward after veiling my chakra. First things first was figuring out: what is the creature terrorizing the forest?

Step by step I was getting closer to the cave opening. I tiptoed around the bones, careful not to step on any. As I got closer, I distinctly heard a small yowl, kind of like a kitten's, and I raised an eyebrow. Whatever this 'monster' was, it sure sounds cute as hell.

It became dimmer as I walked inside, and slowly my eyes adjusted to the darkness. I heard the sound again, willing me to go further in. Once I felt I was deep enough, I concentrated chakra into one of my fans, thought of fire and gave it a quick wave. It caused a small flame to form and float on top of my fan while it was closed.

The flame gave me enough light to see at least six feet around me. Near the edge of the lit circle, to the back of the cave, was a sleeping dragon. That's right, I said it. A freaking dragon! The super awesome, supposedly mythical and extinct winged beast known for other worldly powers beyond comprehension to normal humans. Yeah, that dragon.

I quickly covered my mouth with both hands in order not to gasp out loud. As much as I'm happy about seeing my favorite mythical creature alive, ain't no way I'm gonna want to stay around while it's alive and awake. I took a step forward to have a closer look. It wasn't curled up in its sleep, and seemed like either a baby, or possibly a midget dragon, by its size. It was maybe as long as me, and that wasn't very long.

(A.N.: I did a little tweak with Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke's heights to make this work. It's basically the same, nothing too special. So, here it goes: Naruto is 4'7", Allyce is 4'8", Sakura is 4'9", and Sasuke is 4'10".)

The dragon was truly a beautiful yet dangerously mysterious sight. It was the color of charcoal, and the claws on its short, somewhat stubby legs were a crimson red. Its scales seemed glossy against the glow of the fire, with a surreal luminance. With a little focus, I could see its leathery, bat-like wings pressed against its body, nearly invisible. (Just think of Toothless in How to Train Your Dragon, but with little... tweaks ;)