7. 'Music Concert'

Sonakshi clasped her hands and looked up, as if thanking God for saving her tonight. She lay in bed and gently touched her ears and neck-all the spots where Dev's lips had explored her just a few minutes ago. She had never experienced anything like this before in her life-no man had ever touched her the way Dev had-and probably no one else would ever be allowed to. Sonakshi hugged her pillow and rolled over to sleep.

Next morning, Sonakshi was surprised to see a cold silence at the breakfast table.

"Kya hua mamma? Papa? Aap log itney chup kyon ho?"

"Kuch nahin beta...wo mere sar mein dard hai..." Asha lied

"Main bataata hoon!" Bijoy said sternly

Sonakshi trembled at her dad's tone of voice. There were a handful moments she could recall when her father had lost his temper in front of her-she could tell this was going to be one of them! Bijoy was a retired school principal and had been known as a strict disciplinarian during his tenure. Once he lost his temper, no one had the courage to face him or argue with him.

"Sonakshi! Aaj se tum Dev se milna chhod do...wo tumharey liye theek nahin hai..." Bijoy said authoritatively.

Sonakshi looked at Asha for support, but her mom just turned her head away and walked to the kitchen.

Sonakshi lowered her eyes and tried to gather some courage, "papa...kya baat hai?" she said softly

"Sonakshi...jo maine kahaa usey dhyan se suno...tum ek shareef ghar ki ladki ho...Dev jaise ladke sirf tumhey behkaana jaante hain...mujhey pata chala hai ki tum dono kaafi ghul mil gaye ho ek doosrey se...main nahin chahta tum kuch aisa kar baitho jis sey tumhari ya hamare family ka sar neecha ho..."

Sonakshi did not have further courage to say anything. She just picked up her bag and walked towards the door.

"beta breakfast toh kar ja.." Asha called from behind

"nahin mamma...aaj school mein jaldi rehearsals hain...main wahin kuch kha loongi..." Sonakshi tried to suppress her tears.

As she was waiting for her rickshaw, she saw Dev pull his car in front of her, "Ride ma'am?"

Sonakshi smiled, but remembered her father's command. She could see him standing at the door from the corner of her eyes, "nahin aaj nahin...," and boarded her rickshaw.

Dev was surprised at her decision. He looked around and waved at Bijoy standing at the door. When Bijoy did not wave him back, Dev got the message. He thought he would talk to Bijoy himself later that night, as he had to rush for a meeting.

Sonakshi was distracted at work, as she kept thinking about her father's words. Why was he being so harsh, when her mother had consented to her alliance with Dev? She had to talk to her mother as soon as she got home.

As Sonakshi left the school, she saw Dev waiting for her in his car.

He came out and went to Sonakshi, 'kya baat hai Sonakshi...kya uncle aunty ne kal raat ko humein dekh liya tha?"

Sonakshi lowered her eyes, "Nahin dekha toh nahin...par shayad unhey shaq ho gaya hai...main aaj mamma se baat karoongi...wo samajhti hain...papa ko gussa jaldi aa jata hai..."

Dev understood that there was no point pushing Sonakshi at this point, as she would probably not do anything against her parent's wishes.

"Sonakshi...ek baat hai...main tumhey kal shaam ek music concert mein le jaana chahta hoon...Nainital ke paas ek jagah hai jahan concert ho raha hai...mera jaana zaroori hai kyonki hamari company hi sponsors hain...par akele nahin jaana chahta...please mere saath chalna...mana mat karna...you will really enjoy all the singers..."