10. 'Heartbroken'

Sonakshi reached Nainital and was surprised to find that no one from her family had come to receive her at the station. She took a rickshaw home; she was worn out after the hectic trip and busy last day she had with Dev, both physically and emotionally. She was looking forward to some home cooked food by her mother and having a hot relaxing shower.

As she rode in the rickshaw, she was surprised to see a lot of passers by stop and look at her. They would then whisper something to each other, point at her at times and giggle. She thought may be their school choir's performance in Delhi had been appreciated in the local newspapers, and was looking forward to some positive comments from the principal and other teachers the following day.

She finally reached home and was surprised to see quite a gathering outside her house. It looked like there was a TV crew, along with some press!

"Yeh kya ho raha hai mamma?" Sonakshi walked inside the front gate. She was soon surrounded by some journalists with microphones and cameras.

"Kya aap bataa sakti hain aapka aur Dev Dixit ka kya relation hai?...kya aap Delhi mein saath the?...aap unhey kab sey jaanti hain?...unke income tax raid ke baare mein aapko kya pataa hai?... kya wo Nainital phir aayengey?..." she was bombarded with questions.

Sonakshi put her hands on her ears, "PLEASE LEAVE ME ALONE...aap sab yahan se jaaiye...mujhey kuch nahin maloom...PLEASE GO AWAY!" she screamed. The press and TV crew were whisked away by Rahul and Ritwik, who were also present there.

Sonakshi was panting, as she walked inside and looked at her parents, "mamma? Papa? Yeh kya ho raha hai? Kyon aaye hain yeh log?"

Bijoy, who was red with anger stepped forward, "yeh sawaal humein tumsey karna chahiye...mujhey vishwas nahin hota ki mere ghar ki izzat iss tarah meri hi beti mitti mein mila degi.."

Sonakshi was frightened, "P..Papa...kya keh rahey hain aap? Mujhey kuch samajh nahin aa raha..."she looked around and saw Riya standing with her eyes lowered.

Asha also turned her face away.

"Mamma...aap sab log chup kyon hai? Kya baat hai...yeh Dev aur mere baare mein kyon poonch rahe the?"

Bijoy handed a page from the local newspaper to Sonakshi

Sonakshi read the headlines and was shocked. It was the local hindi newspaper, but had a picture of Dev and Sonakshi hugging each other, and another one of Dev kissing Sonakshi. The headlines basically said that playboy Dev had found his new girl from Nainital!

They were probably taken in the lobby of St Mary's auditorium when Sonakshi had re united with Dev.

"P..P..Papa...aap log meri baat suniye..."

"Kya suney?" Bijoy raised his voice, "issi liye tum Delhi akele hi jaana chahti thi? Meri aankhon mein dhool jhonk rahi thi...iss aadmi ne humein kahin ka nahin chhoda!"

Sonakshi looked at Riya and then Asha, "mamma...aap vishwas keejiye...mujhey nahin pataa tha ki Dev bhi wahan aayega...haan main maanti hoon yeh photographs sahi hain...par Dev ne mujhey nahin bataya tha ki wo bhi wahan hoga..."

"Sonakshi...Dev tumhey kitna bewkoof bana chuka hai...tumhey shayad iska andaaza bhi nahin hai..." Riya spoke up.

"Nahin Riya...aisi baat nahin hai...wo mujhsey pyaar karta hai..." Sonakshi defended Dev

"Sacche pyaar karne waale, iss tarah ki publicity nahin karwa te Sonakshi...tum uske chakkar mein bilkul andhi ho gayi ho..." Riya went on

"Haan main andhi ho gayi hoon!...agar kisi se sacche dil se pyaar karna andhapan hai...toh haan main andhi ho gayi hoon!..." Sonakshi started sobbing.