{letter}

W,
Returning with news.
Jameson

It was brief and to the point, just the way she meant it to be. If it was to be intercepted, no helpful information could be taken from it. Also, every letter cost something whether it be a penny or a human life. She'd rather not be the cause of an innocent messenger's death. 

When Ellis had been spying in the British territories, she had used the alias of Elizabeth Montgomery. It was one of the most generic names she could think of, besides Elizabeth Smith. But she had problems with that name in itself. 

Elizabeth Montgomery, however, was fine. She was the wife of a deceased soldier, having "joined" the war after her husband's death as a way to give back to the English monarchy. Of course, she hadn't joined as a soldier, but as a nurse. 

It was lucky for her that she knew of enough medical procedures to get her through a day. 

But that was on the British side of things. 

On the American side, she was Ellis Jameson, a proud soldier, and a loyal spy until the end. After all, she would never betray her closest friend, Hercules Mulligan, who was also a spy for the American armies. She also couldn't find it in herself to betray George Washington either, especially not after all he had done to get her to where she was now.

Ellis rode into camp roughly three days after her letter had been delivered, her hat pulled low over her eyes paired with a dress that was the same shade as the American uniforms. It showed her loyalty and prevented her from getting shot on sight.

She ignored the prying eyes and hushed whispers of the soldiers that tried to converge on her horse as she entered their living space. The soldiers wondered who it was so important that they had had to go directly to Washington. 

The man, they thought she was, was probably rich and had come to discuss funds with the General. Nobody saw who she truly was. 

Ellis smirked at the thought. If only they knew.

Inside Washington's tent, Ellis pulled out stolen files and blueprints from her large dress after undressing down to the soft white cotton she wore under it all. 

"These are what I managed to snag from their general and soldier tents," she said, dropping the parchment in front of him. "I haven't read them, so I have no knowledge of their importance but they looked like they could be of use."

After handing the multitudes of parchments to Washington and telling which are from soldiers and which are from generals, she grabbed her proper clothing from a small trunk she kept in the back of Washington's tent. 

She then stepped behind a clothing divider, swapping her heels for better suited brown-buckled boots and her underdress for the thin material of her blouse and pants. She felt freer in this new outfit though she was sure her mother would have a heart attack if she could see her now. 

"Washington," she spoke before she was due to leave. She had almost forgotten to tell about a crucial piece of information, the ride over having messed with her mind. "I'm afraid I can no longer be of service in spying on the British."

He looks at her, shocked with a calm façade. He didn't make any other movement to show his surprise. "Why do you say that, Jameson?"

"Because, sir. My step-father has joined their army."