Twenty Five • Coward

Waking up to the blinding light of the outdoors flooding into your bedroom, you looked around you in a daze. You had no recolection of the night and yet you were still tucked into your bed like nothing had happened.

Moving yourself to the edge of the bed to get up you were hit by an earth shaking head ache. As nausea and dizziness overtook you you tried to lay back down. There was no point in getting up by this point. The hangover was far too strong and you just wouldn't be able to function even if you made it to work.

"Sis! You're going to be late again!" Poppy called from the other room.

It felt as though your entire body was revolting against you. You muscles burned like you had just played quidditch for hours on end, your head ached like you had cracked your scull open with a beater's bat and your stomach threatened to eject whatever it's contents were. You hadn't the will or strength to go to work.

"Sis! Get up! You did it to yourself now get your butt out of bed!" Poppy hollered as she approached the room with what sounded like something metal.

"I'm sick. I'm not going." You groaned into your pillows.

"That's too bad!" Poppy shouted, as the girl flung open the door, and started to hit two pots together.

"CLANK, CRASH, BANG! GET UP!" Poppy shouted, so loud you figured that they could hear her all the way to Hogwarts.

"No." You groaned again into your pillows.

"Stop being a coward and make a potion or use a spell. You need to go apologize to Newt before he decides never to talk to you again." Poppy spat, as she continued to hit the pots together but at more if a rhythm.

"Great. What did I do this time?" You asked as you sat up.

"Newt was trying to be nice and you just flat out said he was going to cheat on you." Poppy said in a huff.

"That's stupid. I would never say anything like that. We aren't even together, Newt and I."

"Well not at this rate! Now go to work!" Poppy shouted again before she marched back to the kitchen with the pots.

"Fantastic kid." You hissed as you stood from the bed.

The room spun round and your head felt as though it was being stabbed by millions of small daggers. You really would need magical intervention with this hangover. Fire whiskey on an empty stomach was not a good idea. Next time you planned on going drinking you were going to something else. Something like giggle water that didn't make you feel terrible after about six glasses.

Getting dressed and getting your paperwork together you made your way to the living room. Seeing the old quilt sitting on the back if the couch you had a strange feeling of deja vu. That quilt was almost never out of the closet. It was one of the few things left of your adopted mother. Newt had used that blanket last night you remembered now. You nor Poppy would have used that blanket, and Newt had a bad habit of surprise house calls.

"It lives!" Poppy said with a sarcastic laugh.

"Unfortunately." You muttered as you went to the medicine cabinet in the kitchen.

Pulling out a vial of blue viscous liquid. You poured out a tablespoon worth and drank it.

"Newt's going to be at the ministry today. You'd better go." Poppy said as she threw you a paper bag.

"Thanks, Poppy." You said as you walked to the fireplace.

"Be careful and don't kill Tina. We need her alive." Poppy said in a mock villainous voice.

"Alright then." You replied as you picked up the bowl of floo powder.

"Have a good day." Poppy said.

"Let's hope. And you too. Don't get into any trouble." You replied.

"No promises. Danger is my middle name." Poppy said with a smile.

"Sure it is. Your point is?" You joked.

"Whatever. Just go talk things out with your boyfriend." Poppy said as she walked off to the kitchen.

"Ministry for Magic." You said in a clear voice and stepped into the hearth as the green flames rose. The magic enveloping you as you were flung through the floo system to the ministry office.

Vote on this chapter if you liked it. Thanks for over 55k views!