A Misunderstanding

Npov

Will had left to attend to what he called, "King Duties." I had asked if he wanted help but had quickly shot down my offer. I hadn't been offended or anything; it's a law that no one but royalty could know what they were talking about.

So while I sat on my bed I tried to work up the courage to ask Will out again. I loved him, and I didn't want him to think I don't.

What do I say? Do I just ask him? Should I buy him something? I don't know what to buy. Flowers? What kind?

This is hard.

Will is worth it. I love him.

I was shaking with nervousness. I had multiple types of flowers in my hands, and was walking to the room where Will was having a meeting. I waited outside of he room. Will was talking loudly and so I heard their conversation, even though I hadn't meant to.

"When are you going to do it?"

"I don't know." I heard Will answer.

"Are you getting flowers for him?"

"Probably. It adds to the effect."

"Are you sure you're going to ask him out?"

Oh...he loves someone else...

"Yes. Completely. I love him more than anyone else in the whole world!"

I dropped my flowers because my hands were shaking so much. I picked them back up, but they were droopy now. Will opened the door with a surprised look on his face when he saw me.

Then it dawned on him why I looked so sad with the flowers in my trembling hand hands.

"I should've known a king wouldn't love a neko." I said quietly.

"Oh, Nico-"

I shoved the flowers at him and ran.

How could he? I thought he loved me! I thought he cared about me!

But Will was bigger than me and caught up with me quick. I should've turned into a cat. Cats are faster than humans.

He grabbed my wrist. "Wait! Nico!"

I turned my face away from him, crying. He heard the sobs and pulled me into a hug. I pulled away.

"Nico, please, listen to me!"

He tried to get me to look at him, but I wouldn't.

How could he? He betrayed me, just like Octavian said he would!

"Nico, listen! I love you! You're the one I was talking about! Please, you have to believe me!"

But I didn't believe him. He betrayed me.

He doesn't love you.
He hates you.
He doesn't love you.
He hates you.

Those words repeated over and over, making it impossible to hear anything he said. I felt warm arms wrap around me again, but when I tried to pull away, he wouldn't let me. He held me close to him.

"...please, Nico, you have to listen. Please..." Will was sobbing now. I guess he knew I would not listen.

After awhile, he pulled away. He looked into my eyes, searching for something to be able to tell if I would forgive him. But looking into my eyes forced me to look at his. I saw so much sadness, which was unusual for him, as usually he was happy and bright. I looked away.

Surely, he's lying, right? Surely he was talking about someone else.

But maybe he wasn't....

Maybe he's telling the truth...

I couldnt decide. What he telling the truth? Or was he lying...? I couldn't tell. I wished I could.

"Please, Nico, I love you so much!"

Piper happened to be passing by at that moment. She saw tears rolling down my face and Will desperately trying to get me to listen. She ran over.

"What happened?!"

"I was talking to Hazel about asking him out but Nico must have overheard and when I opened the door, he was standing there with these flowers and I tried to explain what happened but he just shoved these flowers at me and ran!" Will panicked

He was still trying to keep me from running away from him. Piper noticed and took my arm to help Will keep me there. I felt trapped, but I didn't tell them this.

"Nico, please listen to Will..."

She kept talking but I blocked her out.

Do I forgive him? Do I listen? Do I give him a chance?

He could love someone else....

Or he could love you....

What do I do?

"Nico, I was going to ask you out! I don't love anyone else!"

My thoughts seemed to be on a loop where they just kept repeating those thoughts:

Do I forgive him? Do I listen? Do I give him a chance?

He could love someone else....

Or he could love you....

What do I do?

"Nico, you have no idea how much you mean to me! Please, at least let me explain."

I stopped struggling, but I was trembling and had tears running down my face.

"As you may have guessed, I didn't go to a meeting for royalty. I was talking to Hazel. I wanted to make sure it was okay with her that I dated you, if you said yes. She said it's fine as long as I don't hurt you. Then we started discussing a place and whether I'd bring flowers. I was talking about you, Nico. I love you. Then when I opened the door....it broke my heart that you looked so upset. Then I realized what you thought you heard and, well, by then you were running away."

I looked up at him. His eyes seemed worried and sad and desperate all at the same time.

"If I were talking about someone else, why would I have gone to Hazel?"

I looked at my feet, thinking. I couldn't come up with an answer.

"I don't know..." I whispered.

Piper slowly let go of my arm. She smiled encouragingly at Will.

"Nico, will you give me the honor of being your boyfriend?" He grinned at me, but he still seemed nervous and not quite himself.

Do I say yes? Do I trust him? Will he betray me? Does he love me? Does he love someone else? Is he lying? Is he telling the truth? Will I regret this?

All of these questions flashed through my head. 

"I..."

Will looked at me hopefully.

I sighed. I'm going to regret this. "Yes."

"YES!" Will shouted, doing a fist-pump and beaming at me. 

He took my hand and he led the way back to my room. Piper smiled approvingly at us.

Word count: 1086 words