Chapter Thirteen: The Life of a Farmer

Damon moped about Lord Benjamin's castle on a rainy day. It had been a week since Lucy left and a few days since the Pressins left too. He had missed Jane's company the most, since she reminded him so much of Lucy. He could see why they were the best of friends. The rain poured relentlessly down on the servants who ran through the courtyards, trying to do their chores. Damon stood at a window looking out into a courtyard, the same one where they had went after the dancing. The flowers drooped with all the rain pounding on them.

A cold slender hand touched his shoulder. Sophie hugged him and sniffed. "Why aren't you talking to me? Could you please tell me why you are so upset?" Damon shook his head and walked away. "Don't you dare walk away from me!" Sophie screamed.

Damon turned around, surprised by her. She stood, her hands on her hips, her nostrils flaring, her eyes buring with anger. "Tell me why you are so upset! I'm tired of you moping around when there's a wedding to be planned!"

Damon smiled and laughed at her face. "Sophie, dear, the wedding is off. I no longer have to marry you." Before Sophie could react, he explained, "Luke was bluffing and he never told my mother. I don't have to marry you. I found out that I don't love you like I once did. I also noticed that you only love me because I am a prince and marrying me would make you queen. You love power and wealth, not me. You don't know anything about me, do you Sophie? What's my favorite color?"

Sophie was dumbfounded. "Why its pink of course!" Damon just shook his head and walked away. He would leave at nightfall, escape from this miserable castle. Maybe he would visit Thanos and help on the farm for awhile to take his mind off of things. He didn't want to go back home nor did he want to stay here with a bratty lady.

Lord Benjamin came after the prince when he was saddling up his horse in the rain. "Where are you going in this weather?"

"Lord Benjamin, I am going home. I can't stand being here anymore, and I hate your daughter, she is so whiney. Good luck trying to find her a husband." Damon mounted and rode off in a rage, his cheeks flushed.

Damon was glad to be finally rid of that miserable castle. He missed Lucy and without her, the place was lonely, not full of adventure and promise of a fight like a place was when Lucy was there. Damon traveled in the god damn weather as he called it all day and well into the night, the lightning showing him the way.

By late afternoon of the second day, he arrived at a small home surrounded by fields to the south and east, and a forest to the west and north. A dark skinned man sat in the barn milking a heifer, flickering lanterns hanging from the stalls. He looked up once he heard the pounding of horse's hooves and frowned when he saw Damon. He stood and took Damon's horse from him.

"How have you've been, Thanos?" The man stared at the prince while cleaning his stallion.

"I suppose I've been well, thanks for asking. Where's Lucy?" Damon sighed and leaned up against a stall door. The mule inside glanced up and tried eating his hair, much to the prince's disgust.

Thanos just laughed at him and put the horse into an empty stall with fresh hay. "Can you show me how to milk a cow?" Damon asked curiously after Thanos had started up his chores again. Thanos grunted and cracked his back.

"This used to be Lucy's chores now I have to do them. Soon, I hope I can get a farm hand. I need his help. Let us strike a deal. I teach you how to milk a cow and you can stay here for as long as you like. You also have to clean the stalls, do the dishes, set the table, feed the chickens and get the eggs from the hens. Do we have a deal?"

Damon didn't even need to consider it. "Of course. Teach me how to do those things properly and I'll stay and help as long as you need it." Thanos smiled, the first he had in a long time and placed Damon onto his stool while holding onto the heifer.