Chapter Twenty Two: The Fight

Jasmine woke and the birds chirped. She bathed and dressed in a dark blue gown, her grief deep this day. She found she could not smile, or think happy thoughts. All she saw was Lucy's head in the basket, dark blue eyes gazing blankly at them. She shook her head.

She took hold of her skirts and walked briskly down the corridor. She stopped in front of a courtyard where yells were coming from. She peeked around the corner to see Andrew, in full body armor, fighting Trace, who only wore a helmet. As Jasmine kept watching, Trace didn't need any armor, only Andrew did. Andrew was poor at combat, and had always been. Trace hacked and slashed repeatedly, tiring Andrew out quickly. Jasmine watched as Andrew threw his sword on the ground and used both arms to hold up his shield.

Trace grinned and hit Andrew hard on his helmet. Andrew crumpled and Trace threw his sword down. "Never throw away your weapon. You have no way to block a blow."

Andrew sat up, his face red and sweaty. "You were beating me up! I could have beaten you, easily."

"Fine," Trace said, turned on his heels and threw up his arms. "Fight me." He turned back around, a few paces away from Andrew. The servant grabbed a shield. "I bet you a shilling that I can knock you out with only a shield."

"Alright. I accept this bet. You have a gambling issue, my friend?" Andrew stood and took a stance, his sword now in hand again.

"Nope." Trace took his stance, with a wink towards Jasmine. She thought that she was hidden, but Trace had noticed her. With a yell, Andrew ran towards Trace. He slashed down but Trace blocked. Andrew stepped back, getting ready to swing. Trace side stepped, and because the blow was low, raised his shield and brought it down hard on Andrew's head. Andrew again crumpled to the ground.

"Lords," Trace huffed. "They are all the same. Think that servants can't fight." He picked up the lord's purse and took out a coin. He tossed it in the air and caught it. His eyes focused on something near to Jasmine, then he smiled. Jasmine looked around herself to find the three wolves behind her, sitting in the corridor.

He walked to Jasmine and bowed. "Good morn, my princess. How are you?"

"I am fine." He stared at her, eyes slightly narrowed, as if he didn't believe her. "Truly, I say, I am fine," Jasmine repeated. She bent down and petted Lucy. "How is my friend?"

"Are you talking to me or the wolf?" Trace joked. Jasmine glanced up at him and he chuckled. "Of course, I know, Jasmine. I am well. I have been getting stronger, getting ready to fight Black Shadow. But I have also grown weak. Without Lucy around, it is not the same. I miss her, as I know you do." Trace took Jasmine's hand and squeezed it. "Lucy was dear to us, but we've lost her. It hurts."

"What do you think you're playing?" Andrew's red face appeared by Jasmine's side. Trace let go of her hand and grinned at the lord.

"I am playing a game. Life, is a game that we all play, is it not?"

"No, you cheated! You're just a dumb pig."

"I did no such thing, my lord. I fought fairly, as I should."

"Fairly?" the lord spluttered. "Fairly? Who taught you to fight? You cheated."

A wrinkled hand landed on Lord Andrew's shoulder. Andrew jumped and turned to see an old man, wrinkled skin, yet still strong and broad in the shoulders. His dark green eyes twinkled with mirth and his mouth had only half his teeth. His nose was bent at a weird angle from having it broke so many times.

"I git 'em trained good and well, then they go off to some other lord or kingdom or war. But this un," the man's hand went to Trace's shoulder. "This un, stayed. And Imma proud of 'im. Trained good and hard. Strong, young lad. And a fair fighter if I ever knew un."