Chapter Twenty Three: Revealing the Truth

Trace stood and wiped his hands on his tunic. "I was hoping you knew this prisoner. She is strange. Damon and I were searching for the female wolf."

"I see. Well, I've never seen this girl before." She hissed and tried to lunge at the king but the chains stopped her. "She seems very violent though. I'm glad she is here and not out on the streets."

"King Jasper, I think I know who this is." Damon stepped forward timidly, unsure of himself. "It just might be..." He got close to her, and she lunged at him. He waited until she stopped, stepped closer and squatted near her. He gazed into her eyes, and she into his. "I know those eyes."

She hissed, and her eyes changed from dark blue to black. Then they were a light blue, gold, black, dark blue. Her mouth opened to reveal white teeth. She widened her mouth, and the human teeth became fangs. She growled, and her body transformed. She was now the female wolf.

"Looks like you found the female," Jasper retorted. She snapped at them. Damon stood quickly and backed away, tripped over his feet and fell into the wall. The chains burst into dust and the girl was free. "Trace, what is that?"

"I don't know," Trace breathed. Jasper gave him a horrified look. Surely the warlock could kill a simple wolf? Damon shook his head and stood next to them. "It's a horrible beast."

The wolf approached them and Trace trembled. He felt his chest tighten in fear, and his breath caught.  "I love you, Lucy, so I will not kill a wolf." Jasper and Damon backed away while Trace was frozen in fear. The wolf howled, and there was a dull gray mist that swept into the room and draped itself across the wolf. The wolf transformed and now stood in front of them a dirty and surprised Lucy.

She glanced at herself, and smiled. Her scars and cuts were still on her body, and her ear was still mysteriously black tipped, but she smiled. She was alive. "Damon! Jasper!" She hugged Damon and saw Trace, still frozen in the same spot, only this time in shock. "Trace!" She stood in front of him, a little hesitant, then she leaned in and kissed his lips, waking him up. Trace smiled through the kiss and held her tight to him. They broke the kiss.

"Trace," she breathed. She stared up into his eyes. "I thought I would be gone forever." She hugged him. "You saved me. You love me!" She smiled at him and pecked him on the lips once more. "You love me."

"What happened?"

"I will explain later. Now, take me away from here. I must dress properly, eat at length, and tell the story." She moved away from Trace's side and started out of the dungeons.

"Lucy." Damon walked towards her, suddenly shy. "Do you love Trace?" She glanced at Damon, then over her shoulder to the man behind her.

"I think I do, Damon. I have never felt this way before." Damon felt miserable. He got Lucy back, but now he knew that she loved someone else. Lucy glanced at him. "Do you forgive me?"

He looked away from her. "No," he replied quietly and he walked faster to get away from her. Lucy stopped, and stared after him. Her heart was torn. Damon was special to her. They had gone through many things together. They made each other mad and laugh. She felt deeply for Damon. But lately, her feelings for Trace had grown. Who did she like best? Damon was handsome, wealthy, sweet, and strong. Trace was smart, good looking, and also kind. Who was better?

She shook her head and continued. The men led her to the royal chambers, where the rest of the group was waiting still. Lucy walked in and took in everyone's face. She smiled brightly, and sighed. She felt the love and warmth in the room. These people were her family. They loved her, protected her. She hugged each one in turn, and the last one was a tall man with short blond hair, dark blue eyes, and a sharp face.