Chapter Nine

"Is Irene there?" Violet asked down the phone line, after being greeted by the concerned voice of her best friend's mother, Elizabeth.

"She is, why do you need her?" the older lady snapped back. Over the years, Violet had become a professional at dealing with Mrs Thorn's occasional rudeness; she knew what would make her give in and subdue into a lighter mood. The clogs in her brain turning, she lied:

"We have to work on a project outside of school over the holidays," Violet claimed, forcing a hint of annoyance into her voice. "A lot of people are quite annoyed about it, since it's such an important school holiday, but we decided to get it out of the way to avoid trouble."

She could almost hear the rage on Elizabeth's expression as she barked, "work over Christmas? Are they completely unaware that some students are Christians?"

"I know," Violet said with a sigh.

A moment later, the phone on the other end was thrust over to Irene, who answered it in hysterics.

"Me mum is so angry," she giggled. "What is it, Vi?"

"I just wanted to let you know that I went to see Paul yesterday," she explained carefully, the colour rising to her face despite Irene not being able to see her. She was twirling the phone cord around her index finger, as though she was in some sort of teen movie. "I really enjoyed it. He's so sweet."

"That's awesome," Irene replied. "You like him, don't you? You do!"

"Shut up, I don't like him," Violet insisted, doubting herself. "I just like him. As a friend. He isn't what I expected him to be, is all — it was shocking."

"You need to see him again." Irene was getting carried away. "Obviously he'd want to, look at you! Oh my gosh, you can go to the park, that's beautifully— oh crap, my mum's listening. I'll call you later, bye."

Violet hung the phone back on the answering machine with the realisation that she had lied to Elizabeth, and Elizabeth knew about it. However, within moments her fear had been washed away by thoughts of Paul. She tried to snap out of it by telling herself she had met him three days ago, but it wasn't working. She was completely helpless.

•••

Just as she began to spread peanut butter onto a slice of bread half an hour later, Violet's mother burst into the kitchen burdened with more shopping bags than Violet had ever owned and breathing heavily. The teenage girl behind the counter blinked slowly, taking in the pile that had been left on the kitchen floor.

"... So, you went shopping, then," Violet finally deduced, returning her attention to the sandwich she was crafting.

"Yes," her mum elaborated. "I think I've bought everything. I got you gifts for Irene and Ringo, and this time they're not stuffed toys since you shouted at me last time." Violet rolled her eyes at the memory; she wasn't three. Even though she would have greatly appreciated the stuffed elephant she had to present to Ringo, aged fifteen. "Was there anyone else you wanted to buy for?"

She thought for a while. One person came into mind.

"Actually, yes."

guess who's back, back again

i hope you guys enjoyed this slightly half-ass chapter, i'm trying to get inspired for this story so i did this little filler.

i really hope you like the new cover as well, i made it myself and i'm pretty happy with it! i take cover requests on my other account taintedseas if you want one too :3