4. The Crossing, part two

Fai pursed his lips, dry from the desert air. He was hungry. And he was too close. 

Kurogane shifted a bit behind Fai, as if he could sense the change in the other's thoughts. Perhaps he could? Fai did not yet fully understand the ties that bound him to his prey; he hardly even understood what this new-found existence really meant. 

Kamui... Now he had been a real, and very old, vampire. Though his blood flowed in Fai's veins now, this did not make them equal. Fai was discovering his new nature by groping blindly, like a newborn kitten. He was only half aware of what he was now capable of. Kamui's blood saved Fai's life after Syaoran-kun stole his eye and half his magic... He might have become a fledgling vampire then, but, as Kurogane mixed his blood in with Kamui's, his thirst was limited to one subject, and one subject only. Such was the price Yūko had exacted, for granting Kurogane's wish. This also meant Fai was not fully a vampire, but led a half-life, halfway between man and immortal, between hunter and slave. 

Fai clenched his jaw, and narrowed his remaining eye at the outlines of the great city walls rising to meet them. Time, stretched out and frozen like a drop of amber, was suddenly liquid again. They were nearing the capital.

Kurogane spoke to Fai under his breath. "We're nearly there. Can you sense the others?"

Fai shook his head, just enough for Kurogane to notice. No, he couldn't. It was as if his mage's senses were dead, and only the scent of blood remained. And not just Kurogane's blood. There was old blood everywhere around them. The sand was soaked with its memory. Something must have happened here... a terribly long, long time ago.

Soon they approached a set of massive gates in the wall, and Alana raised her hand casually, waving in greeting at the ramparts. A few moments later the gates slowly and silently swung open. There must have been watchers behind the narrow slitted windows cut into the thick stone, but Fai did not see anyone, or notice any movement. There was no one at the gate, either. No guards, no clerks. Kurogane made a surprised sound, as if confirming Fai's thoughts. They let their beast carry them along under the tall archway, up a wide stoney avenue and towards a rather deserted-looking, vast plaza. Shops lined the perimeter, but most of them appeared to be closed. It was as if the city lay in a deep slumber.

"Well, this is cheery," Fai said sarcastically.

Kurogane snorted, then spoke through clenched teeth. "Someone is watching us. I can feel their eyes."

Fai arranged his face into a pleasant, mild enough expression. "Let them watch," he said quietly, without turning around, and was taken aback by the savage note in his own voice.

Alana called out to them, and, dismounting, motioned for them to do the same.

"So! That was some crossing... Don't think it had ever taken me that long before," Alana said, looking at both of them with renewed interest. "But here we are, travellers, delivered as promised! Do you have any idea where to look for your friends?"

Fai gave her a polite smile. "Not really, but we tend to manage... thank you very much for your help, commander," he said. "I hope it was not too much trouble."

Alana shook her head. "Don't mention it," she said. "Tell you what. I doubt you know anyone here, and you're not likely to be able to get into an inn at this hour. If you like, you can stay with me."

Fai and Kurogane exchanged looks. It's not like they had a better option anyhow, and the look of shuttered shops and empty streets suggested Alana may not be exaggerating about finding an inn. Besides, they had no local money.

"The is very kind of you," said Fai, for both of them. "We would be happy to accept your invitation."

"In that case, follow me. My place is not far away, and my men can manage without me from here on out."

Alana briskly gave some final orders to her crew, and the rest of the caravan turned down a large road leading towards a complex of what looked like storehouses or factories. Alana then led Fai and Kurogane across the empty square in the opposite direction. Fai knew Kurogane was carefully memorizing the route, and therefore allowed himself to gaze at the architecture, an odd combination of imposing and fragile structures, heavy ornate stone facades and delicate glass spires. Or, perhaps, they were made of crystal? The setting sun was tinting them pink and purple and gold, and despite himself Fai found them lovely.

The streets Alana was leading them down soon narrowed, heading uphill as the city climbed upwards, clinging to the slopes of the mountain crag, steep enough so that the pavement occasionally was punctuated by flights of stairs. Here and there Fai saw passers-by hurrying along, but they were cloaked and hooded much as Alana was when they first met. A sense of suspense hung over the city.

"Are there monsters here as well?" Kurogane asked, eyeing the lengthening shadows.

Alana grimaced. "Not the kind you get in the desert," she said, her mouth twisting. "In any case, here we are."

They turned under a low archway into a narrow passage, and emerged into a surprisingly spacious courtyard. Elegant-looking stone houses lined the perimeter, and in the centre was a stone basin with a huge chunk of rock crystal, the upper part of which was polished and carved with intricate designs. It seemed like a rather luxurious address, and Fai wondered if being the commander of a trading caravan was a particularly lucrative business. As they stood looking around, a door at the far end of the courtyard had opened and a beautiful blond woman in flowing robes came out toward them.

"Alana!" she exclaimed happily, running up to the commander. "You're home! And you brought guests!" She embraced her passionately, kissing her on the mouth. Then she turned to examine Fai and Kurogane with unreserved curiosity. Fai smiled at her, trying not to look too surprised by such an open display of affection. Kurogane, he noted with some amusement, was looking rather red around the ears.

"Whoa there! I've missed you too, honey..." Alana said, gently disentangling herself and looking both genuinely happy and a little embarrassed. "Er... Welcome, travellers! Please excuse our exuberance, we haven't seen each other in quite a while. This is Milo, my wife. Milo, these people are strangers in this city, and don't know anyone here. I have offered them to stay with us while they get their bearings."

"Of course!" exclaimed Milo. "Where are my manners! You must be tired, and parched. Please, come right in!" she exclaimed, ushering them inside. Kurogane and Fai followed suit. In this strangely quiet town, her cheerfulness was a small but welcome comfort.

____________________

A/N

Next update -- Tuesday! 

If you're wondering about all this gender-play, all I can say is that it will become clear soon enough... (there's a method to this madness, yes). If you have any guesses, queries, questions -- that's what the comment box is for!

As always, I'm happy to hear from you, please vote and comment, or, you know, send messages by pigeon carrier :P

Chapter art -- Desert City by Steven Cornmann