Fear.

For what felt like an eternity, he watched the footage in silence, his breathing growing shallow and more rapid as the minutes ticked away. His partner sat next to him, his posture tense and guarded. When the video cut off, Myles cringed. A numbness moved through him, every molecule holding him together tingled with despair. The phone dropped from his grasp and tumbled onto the cushions. He leaned forward and covered his mouth with his fingers, what he'd just witnessed spiraling through him like a current of electricity.

The vague sensation of Frank's hand on his back felt less than comforting as he fought for control. He didn't say a word, he just sat in silence, letting Myles' release himself from the dam of pent-up emotions. Shaky fingers pushed through his hair and clenched into fists.

"What am I supposed to do?" he finally asked, his voice cracking. "How can I help her?"

A long silence stretched between them. "I don't know. Just be there for her if she decides to open up. Pray for her. The answers will come."

Myles let out an ill-humored laugh. "But you saw the footage," he said. "There was no one else there! She did that to herself."

Frank's mouth opened and then closed. Finally, he shrugged. "I never said this would be easy." He gave him another pat on the back. His partner fidgeted and then stiffened, obviously uncomfortable. Myles knew there was more. "They let Nick Lockhart go."

Of course, they did. They had to. He was an innocent man. The professor was free, as well he should be, but that didn't make Myles feel any better. The man slept with Hudson. Or Annie. Whatever. He might not be to blame for the attack, but he needed to blame someone for what happened so long ago. Only that someone took the easy way out.

The rage that bubbled inside his gut took Myles by surprise. What that monster did—all those years before. The damage he'd caused could never be erased. Hudson was broken. She had been for a long time. But if she cared about him, really cared about him the way he cared about her—then he wouldn't desert her.

He needed to speak with her. He needed to convince Annie it was the right thing to do.

"I need to go back," he said suddenly. "I need to talk to her." He jumped up from the couch and reached for the door.

"Myles, wait!" Frank called after him.

Myles turned to face his partner.

"Be gentle with her, okay? I know you have a lot of questions, but be careful. She's in an ugly place right now, and we don't know what all she needs to start healing. Or if she'll ever be healed."

"But you heard Jonathon!" he implored. "He said she could live a productive life. That she has before and she will again."

"I know that's what he said, but we still need to give her some space. Maybe you should wait to speak with her? At least until after her doctor gets here. Once she sees Hudson I'm sure we'll learn more. But until then, we need to take this slow. She's extremely fragile at the moment, and we don't want to make the situation worse."

"I'll take it slow," he promised. "I won't say or do anything that might set her off. But I do need to speak with her. It can't wait."

Frank cleared his throat. "I hope you know what you're doing, rookie."

Instead of answering, Myles turned into the hallway, taking long strides until he reached Hudson's room. Looking through the glass, he observed her for a moment. She sat unmoving in the bed, a blank expression blanketing her bruised face. The afternoon sun faded behind a cloud, leaving long shadows along the stark white walls. He glanced at the nurse's station then let himself inside before anyone noticed.