16

Chapter 16

Hudson wished she were outside doing something ... anything. Even running errands would be more exciting than sitting around in her apartment. In her apartment, she had way too much time to think. Not only about the attack and the sinister letter, but about Gran, about her parents. About Jonathon. About where things were going with Myles. And about dinner with his partner, a man who didn't even like her. Frank didn't approve of her blossoming relationship with the rookie cop—or whatever it was. She really didn't know.

The thought of her love life never failed to depress her. And Annie's question from the other day kept playing over and over inside her head: "Don't you want to know what it's like to be involved with a guy?"

Of course, she wondered what she was missing out on! What it felt like to fall in love. To have someone to laugh with. Someone to hold. A normal man. Someone who respected her. What girl in her right mind didn't want something like that?

Most of the time it didn't bother her. But every once in awhile, late at night while she lie tucked under her covers, she wondered what it would feel like to have someone lying next to her, spooned against her backside, keeping her safe and warm. To feel his hardness pressing into the small of her back. To turn to him and give in. She wondered what it would be like to feel ... normal. But she'd survived this long without a relationship and she would continue on. If she had to.

But Myles made her wonder if she'd have to. He was interested in her, that much she knew. She could see it, even through her insecurity and the annoying walls she'd built around herself.

Restless energy pricked through her insides, and that became boring after a while. Hudson rose from her seat and peeked out the window down the street. Legions of people bustled back and forth on the sidewalk like busy little ants, walking in and out of shops, painting murals along a blank slate of a building. As fond as she felt of the heat, the stickiness was finally getting to her. The small window would only let in so much breeze. She needed to cool off, and not in front of the air conditioner. But that would mean leaving the apartment. Didn't she have mail to drop off? How would the bills get paid if she didn't deliver them on time?

Hudson grabbed the envelopes, all ready to go, slipped on her sandals and hurried down four flights of stairs, every other step creaking beneath her weight. Quickly she moved, before she changed her mind. And before Annie realized she'd left. Hudson loved her to death, but her friend had a temper. Especially when things didn't go her way. And if she found out Hudson had disobeyed her request to stay home, she knew she'd be in the doghouse. She hated to disappoint Annie. Annie was always right.

Moisture hung thick in the air as she made her way onto the cement walk, but oh how good it felt to finally be outdoors! To no longer be trapped inside like a caged rat. Head tipped back, her face soaked up the pounding rays of the sun.

Just a five minute walk to stretch her legs. Ten minutes, tops.

Every person she passed seemed to be wearing a smile; happy to be free, to be of their own accord. Doing whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted to do it. Teardrop-shaped leaves rustled overhead and cardinals sang to each other from the dense shrubbery where they hid, shocks of bright red feathers poking out from shades of velvety green.

The mail box sat just up ahead. Twenty long strides and she'd be there. Ten more seconds is all it would take. Then, if she wanted, she could turn around and go home. Or not. She was safe on the street with so many people passing by. Wasn't she? Who would harm her in public where everyone could see?

Hudson dropped the envelopes in the mail slot and turned back to face where she had come from. In the direction that lead straight to her building and up the stairs to her apartment on the fourth floor. Her feet moved quickly, her sandals flopping against the sidewalk. She could see the familiar red bricks and cracked mortar in the distance. If she wanted, she could just pass right by. She could keep walking until she reached the art gallery, or maybe even the lake. She could grab a Mocha Caramel Latte from the cafe down the street.

The world was her oyster. She didn't need to go home!

From her peripheral vision, something caught her attention. A man wearing a light-blue dress shirt, the top three buttons open, with pleated khaki pants. A silver cross hung from his neck, contrasting against tanned skin. Dark-blonde hair slicked back. Eyes that matched his shirt, with golden flecks like the sun. She'd seen those flecks before. She'd counted them up close. Many times.

He watched her closely, his gaze heavy. As if he were familiar with the movements of her body. As if he could predict her next step before she even took it.

This was a mistake. She should have never left home and the safety of her apartment. That's where she belonged. Annie would be so mad if she found out! And Annie always found out. Annie knew things about her; things she didn't even know herself. Annie was always right.

Hudson hurried along, the weight of the man's stare burdensome against her back. She should look behind her. Only once to see if he was still there. Tiny hairs stood erect along her neck, as if they were on the lookout, too.

Yes, he was still there. Was he following her?

Hudson picked up the pace, her legs like jelly as her muscles stretched to their limits. She was almost running now.

Home, she could see it. Just up ahead. She brushed the sweat-laden hair from her forehead and ignored the frown-lines between the eyes of the people she slammed into in her haste. No time to apologize. She needed to get back. Needed to lock herself behind the door and forget she'd ever disobeyed.

"You're tapping your fingers again. Did something just change?"

"No. Nothing's changed."

"Okay. I believe you. I always believe you, Hudson. You know that, right?"

She nodded.

"You know, I've seen this before. I know what it means."

She knew what it meant, too. Or did she? 

Finally, she'd made it. One last look over her shoulder before she raced inside.

Nothing. He was no longer there. Had he ever been there at all? Yes. She'd definitely seen him. He wasn't a figment of her imagination. He'd been watching her, just like before. Blue eyes with golden flecks like the sun.

It didn't matter now. Nothing mattered. She was home.