10

Chapter 10

Though Hudson looked exhausted, they spent the next two hours getting to know each other over Chrysanthemum tea, laughing and having fun as if they'd been friends for years. When Myles reached for her hand on the walk back to her apartment, she didn't pull away. Instead, she gazed at him with eyes the color of emeralds and gave his fingers a squeeze. 

It was so easy hanging out with her, enjoying her gentle demeanor and charm. He hated to see the afternoon end and found himself craving more. 

"You're a good listener," she'd said at one point. "I can't remember the last time I opened up like this."

Her words were simple but the compliment filled him. There was no way he was turning his back on her now. Not that he'd intended to. Frank would just have to deal with wherever this was going. Myles couldn't care less if a relationship complicated things. He'd switch precincts if he had to. His job would not get in the way of him getting to know Hudson better. 

Not that he planned to rush things either. The tough act she was trying to put on was just that. An act. There was a vulnerability about her, anyone could see that. The life she'd lead up until this point had made her that way. And if he had it his way, she wouldn't have to trudge through this life alone. Not anymore. If Hudson had any idea how she made him feel, she'd probably think he was nuts! But there was just something about her, something he wasn't willing to let go of. And no matter where it took him, Myles planned to see it through. That is, if she'd let him.

Whenever Hudson spoke of her artwork, she came to life. Everything about her lit up. Her face, her voice, the way she thrust her shoulders back with confidence. It was obvious her passion lied with the colors she swept over a canvas. She reminded him of a child on Christmas morning as she explained the different painting techniques. He had no idea what she was talking about most of the time, but he didn't dare stop her. He couldn't get enough. And when she turned to him with those eyes of hers, so deep and intense, as if she'd lived a thousand lives, his heart galloped in his chest. What in the world was happening? The big, tough cop completely weakened by this wisp of a woman. And even though they'd just met, Myles didn't want to know what it would feel like to say goodbye.

"I'm sorry," Hudson said breathlessly. "I just keep talking and talking. You must be so bored!"

He smiled, her hand still in his. "Not at all. I could listen to you talk all day. Do you think that's weird?" he asked, wondering if he was insane. "I mean, we just met, but I feel as if I've known you forever."

Hudson stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and parted her lips, her eyes growing wide. "I feel like I've known you forever, too." She shook her head. "This has never happened to me before. To just feel so at ease with someone. Especially a man. It isn't like me to ..."

Myles watched the rise and fall of her chest as she struggled to find words. He realized he had much to learn about her, but in that moment, none of it seemed to matter. He fought the urge to bring her to him; to close his arms around her while the entire Lower West Side maneuvered out of their way. But he didn't have to. Before he knew it was happening, Hudson leaned in and brushed her lips to his. Myles held his breath. The kiss was soft and sweet and he never wanted it to end. In that instant, his life flashed before his eyes. Everything he'd ever been or hoped to become collided in the center of his chest. He felt the light of the world like beacon, pointing him in the direction he was meant to go; in the direction toward the rest of his life. 

And it all started with Hudson.

"Thank you," she whispered on tiptoes, her lips still hovering over his.