F I V E

Thank you guys so much for all of your support! The amount of love and appreciation that I have for you guys is so insane!

You guys have supported my book so much and to thank you, here's another chapter! Two this week, because I love you all so so so freaking much!!

Keep on doing your thing guys!

-

I had survived another day in hell.
School was officially over, and I had never been happier to get myself out of this place. I survived the day free of harsh encounters, aside from the usual commentary, which I was now used to, but today was Thursday. One more day until the weekend, and the weekends were always looked forward to so greatly, because it was my opportunity to break away from all of the bullying and harsh commentary that I received at my awful high school.

The only thing helping me to push through, was knowing that in only one more year, I would never have to return there ever again, and I would be able to provide for Asher as his true legal guardian.

I made my way towards the spot where I had told Asher to always meet me after school, so we could make our way together towards the hospital.

It was time to visit our mother.

Asher and I made our way through the hospital's front doors, into the elevator and to the floor that mother's room was on, however, as we made our way towards the door of her room, I took a glance through the window, noticing that my mother's bed was no longer laying in it's regular spot. She was not in her room any longer.

With a now frantic expression, and my heart pumping twice as fast as normal, I grabbed Asher's fragile hand, pulling him alongside me as I made my way towards the third floor's information desk.

"Hi there, sir," I spoke politely, trying to get the man who sat behind the desk's attention.

"Hello Darling, what may I do for you?" He responded with a gentle smile spreading across his features.

"My mother, Lynn Hawthorne is staying in Room 231," I explained, "but she doesn't seem to be in there anymore. Is there any way that you would be able to fill me in on her whereabouts?"

"One moment, darling," he said, before lowering his head and lifting his hands to search the computer's database for the information I so desperately needed.

One million thoughts were rushing through my brain, from the most positive ones, the the darkest thoughts my brain could conjure up. What if this was it? What if she was gone? How on earth would I be able to explain this to Asher, and protect him? I was still only seventeen. I had hoped to at least have until I was officially legal, before having to truly worry about this.

I was pulled from my thoughts, by the secretary's voice. "Lynn Hawthorne was taken into an emergency surgery early this afternoon. A perfect match was found for her bone marrow transplant, and no time was to be wasted. The surgery began two hours ago, so she should be out, if all things run accordingly, within the next hour."

My heart dropped. I was expecting the absolute worst, but received the best news I could have imagined. I smiled widely at Asher, before returning my gaze to the secretary, and thanking him gratefully.

To calm Asher's nerves down, and to distract both him and myself, I took him down to the hospital's restaurant to buy some lunch.

Realizing that I was running quite low on money, I asked Asher in the most inconspicuous way that I could come up with in the moment, "Ash, let's share a grilled cheese sandwich, alright? They're really large and neither of us needs to stuff ourselves silly."

"Alright Lola, that's fine, I'm just excited that mummy's gonna be okay. My dream's coming true, Lola, I guess I will be able to go do all the fun things I want to do with mommy soon," he exclaimed, an exasperated giggle leaving his lips.

Maybe he was right, maybe things were turning up for us. Maybe our mother really would be alright, and I wouldn't have to worry about having to protect my young brother at such a young age, myself.

After sharing not only a grilled cheese, but a can of coke too, and paying the cheque, I lead Asher back towards the waiting room where we would have to await the results of our mother's surgery.

"Miss? Miss Hawthorne?" An unknown voice spoke, awaking me from my sleep.

I must have unknowingly fallen asleep in the waiting room, with Asher fast asleep on the chair besides mine.

"W-what? Huh?" I answered, still slightly dazed and still waking up from my sleep.

"You are Miss Hawthorne, am I correct?" The man spoke, his words directed at me.

"Oh, yes, that's me," I answered, rubbing my eyes and I attempted to wake myself up properly now.

"Good evening Miss Hawthorne, I am Doctor Frankel. I am here regarding the surgery of your mother, Lynn," he explained.

"Is she alright?" I immediately asked, now wide awake with worry and fear.

"I performed the surgery on Lynn this afternoon, however the surgery took longer than we had hoped for, and Mrs. Hawthorne lost quite a large amount of blood during the transplant."

My heart dropped once again at words.

"Nevertheless, it succeeded and the bone marrow seems to be a great match. The surgery went well," he told me.

"Oh that's incredible! Thank you so much Dr. Frankel," I exclaimed, causing Asher to stir in his sleep, his tiny eyes now flickering awake slowly.

"Are we allowed to go and see her?" I asked the kind doctor.

"Unfortunately, your mother has had an extremely long and difficult day today, and I think it would be best for her to rest up. You may return tomorrow to visit her though."

"Oh, alright. Thank you once again for letting us know Dr. And for performing the surgery," I thanked him, before shaking his hand.

"Lola? What's happening?" Asher asked me, still rubbing his eyes awake.

"Oh Ash, mommy's alright! She is gong to be alright! Her surgery went well, apparently!" I repeated the doctor's words, placing my hands on either side of his small frame.

"Really Lola? She is? I want to see her, Lola," Asher said, now standing up from his seat, also wide awake now.

"Ash, Dr. Frankel said that mommy had a long day, and that she is very sleepy now so she needs to rest up. But we will come again tomorrow afternoon straight after school, to check on her alright?" I told him, watching the hope in his eyes dissipate with my words.

"You will be able to see her, Ash, I promise. And you can tell her all about the stuff you've learnt at school today and what you will learn tomorrow," I said, trying to calm him down.

"Alright, Lola. I'm tired, can we go home now?" He spoke, although he had just had an hour-long nap.

"Of course, Ash, of course."

For the first time in years, I was able to allow myself to believe in hope once again. Maybe it was possible that my mother could truly be recovering.

Maybe, just maybe, God was real, and he had listened to our prayers.

-

Don't forget to vote guys, and comment what you think about this chapter!

Do you think Lola should believe in hope once again?