•12•

-Lena-

"If you'd just tell us what happened that night, this can be over easily."

The man laughs, blowing his greasy bangs away from his face. "It's never easy, you know?"

The investigator sighs as I watch nervously through the tinted glass.
"The 21st of November, three days ago."

"Right."

"A girl shows up with a brown bag."

"Yeah."

"With pictures in it."

"Uh huh."

"And then what?"

Gavin shakes his head and leans back. "I think we both know this ain't going anywhere."

Investigator Brown stares stolidly back. "Do you know a girl named Lena Dulce."

Recognition and hatred blaze in his eyes.
"Yeah, the famous dyke b*tch."

The investigator frowns. "Go on."

"I've been trying to get dirt on her for my website for years. Years! No one else can find anything thanks to her crazy lawyer of a step-dad covering up her tracks. Finally, her ex shows up and offers us a deal we can't refuse..."

"Did you say ex?"

"Yeah, her ex. She told us she'd get some racy pics of Lena getting it on with a female for us if we would send them to her homophobic dad. Of course, we didn't plan on showing them only to her dad, and that's where Claire had a problem and tried to back out." Gavin's eyes widen as he realizes what he's said.

"Thank you, Mr. Short, for your cooperation," the investigator grins.

"Are you okay?" Ms. Grace looks over at me in concern. I jerk my head up in surprise, suddenly noticing my ragged breathing and clenched fists.

"Yeah, I guess I'm just a little dizzy," I respond faintly.

Tori wasn't lying.

It was Claire all along.

"Let's get you home," she suggested softly, leading me away.

"Mom?" I call loudly. Footsteps click in the hallway before mama peers down from the stairwell.

"Ah, Lena! You're home- what's wrong, honey?"

I let out a sniffle, then another as tears begin to stream down my face. "She wasn't lying, mama. I didn't believe her but she was telling the truth."

"Oh, baby," she whispers sympathetically. "Come here and tell me about it."

I nod and sit, telling her about yesterday's visit and today's interrogation.

"She looked so heartbroken, mama. I just got up and left her alone."

"Honey, this is another thing that was out of control, but if Tori really likes you, she'll forgive you."

"Should I go visit her and apologize?"

She shakes her head. "You aren't allowed to visit from 4:30-7:00 pm, and it doesn't sound like you really want to."

"I don't," I admit. "I'm scared she won't forgive me, and I'd rather apologize without glass separating us."

"Hoping to get a forgiving kiss?" She winked jokingly at me. My cheeks redden.

"No, but it just feels... supervised there. It creeps me out."

She nods in understanding.

"What if she never forgives me?" I whisper sadly.

"El amor todo lo puede," she answers with a wistful smile.

It didn't for you and dad, I want to say but don't.