Chapter 26 (d)

Volks hadn't taken long to get back to the investigation. A shower and shave and back at the security office. Had there been critical information, Champion would have woken him at the Medical Centre. Still, it was a bit of a shock that there was a dearth of any leads whatsoever!

"So nothing on Goroshenko, nothing on the girl," he began. "What exactly do we have?"

Champion was abashed and equally frustrated as Volks was. "Nothing. Goroshenko has not returned to his cabin and no security footage has turned up with him in it. As for the girl Orion Ruskovich, she never turns up."

"This psi crap!" he exclaimed. "If we hadn't experienced it, I'd not believe it."

"I've considered the possibility that Goroshenko is using a disguise in addition to whatever other talents he has," said Champion. "There are as many ways to foil our security with tech or old fashioned make-up as there is this so called psi."

Volks scowled. "There are only so many places to hide. Set the parameters of the security sweep to match approximations of height, weight, size of Goroshenko. As for the girl, do the same. At this point, she could be hiding inside Boz."

"You can't be serious!" shouted Champion. However, the look in Volk's eyes told him to look for the impossible or unexpected.

"We just don't know," said Volks. "I think we can safely assume they are aboard the ship and probably others are as well."

Champion despite himself rubbed his tired eyes. "Yes, sir. We'll expand the parameters of the search."

"No, you take some time off, get some chow and some shut eye," said Volks, not unkindly. "I'll take over here for a bit. One thing though: has there been any report from Boz, Miguel and that guy Tilston-Horn?"

"Doing something on The Promenade with the captain's approval," said Volks. "That was verbally confirmed to me and to keep security at a distance."

Volks hated not knowing but the point had been made that they were vulnerable. He nodded to Champion who got up and left leaving him in front of the banks of security monitors. Time was running out for the case to be broken.