Chapter 26 (b)

Sitting up in a hospital bed looking at Volks next to him was not how Cole wanted to start his day. Doc Kripisov had insisted both men sleep and made them do it in the medical centre. Quite frankly, he needed it and the investigation at this point required people round the clock or it would fall apart. The manhunt by Champion for Goroshenko and Orion Ruskovich was ongoing.

Cole looked at his padd and there were no reports from Miguel, Horn or Boz. He hadn't expected any really. There was no way to know how compromised security was aboard the ship and while he wanted to know what they were planning, he also knew that it was better to keep it under a veil as long as possible.

There was little time left to resolve the crimes that had taken place aboard the ship. Cole was hard pressed to figure out how any of it was going to be prosecuted. That wasn't up to him in the end. He suspected that someone high up in government would come in and sweep it all under the rug. It was his job to get to the bottom of what was really happening.

Too many people had died for there not to be answers. The key still lay with Orion Ruskovich. She had admitted that she'd been involved in the death of Aubrey Chase Chen despite no physical evidence to suggest it. He had not read her her rights. There was noway to tell if her story of defending herself was true because there was no understanding of her or anyone else's psi power. There was no science or law that covered any of it. His gut said that she was telling the truth but the violence that took place in Chen's cabin looked like an attack.

There had been no contact with Orion since the cargo hold. To be fair, he'd been literally unconscious the last hours and it was quite possible wherever she was holed up, was asleep as well. On many a manhunt over the years that the marshal had apprehended the suspect simply because the individual grew too tired to continue. He had no idea how a young girl, even with the power she had, continued to stay on the run and elude her pursuers.

There were so many missing parts to the investigation. Orion didn't have all the answers herself but he needed to talk to her to see if she was okay and to generate fresh leads in the case. Previously, she had reached out and contacted him and said she would do it again when Volks and everyone else had been closing in. He wondered if it was possible to contact her himself. It was a ridiculous thought really.

He had no psi powers to speak of and if he had, he'd have solved the case a long time ago. Still, as he sat on the edge of the bed in the infirmary, he decided to give it a try. He closed his eyes figuring that this was something he should concentrate on. He called out to Orion.

His shock and surprise was such that he exhaled sharply when a young girl's voice in his head said: Yes?

Volks next to him reacted. "What?"

Cole gathered himself. "Uh, nothing. Just my aching old body."

"Tell me about it," replied Volks. "I need a shower and coffee before I do anything else."

And with that, Volks got up and left the medical centre leaving Cole still sitting at the edge of his bed.

Is that you?

Cole used his mind to reply. He had to stop himself from verbalizing and drawing the attention of others in the ward.

Yes. It was Orion's voice in his head. How am I able to talk with you like this?  Asked Cole.

I dunno Orion answered. We just can.

Cole was not altogether satisfied with that answer but figured it was Orion's gift that made it possible. Still, it troubled him because it was beyond his experience. As an investigator he wanted to know.

Are you safe?  Cole asked. For now said Orion. I still don't know who I'm up against.

Security is still looking for you  said Cole. I can't do anything about that. You're still wanted as a person of interest.

I'mless worried about security  said Orion bluntly. At least they aren't out to kill me outright.

Cole was not sure how to tell Orion  the next bit of news but the case needed a break and he needed information. It was just best to say what he knew and gauge the reaction.

Another person came up in the course of the investigation  he said.

Who?  asked Orion.

His name is Petr Goroshenko  replied Cole. He appeared in the sealed cabin of Aubrey Chase Chen perhaps looking for something. You, presumably.

Goroshenko was there?

Yes said Cole. He's like you and can appear and re-appear. We're trying to find him now.

He is like me  said Orion. There was a pause. I just don't know if he's a friend or not.

Cole considered this and the germ of a plan crossed his mind. There may be a way to find out. First, tell me what you know of Goroshenko and then we'll figure out how to find out what interest he has in you.

There was another pause and then Orion began to speak. And with that she told everything she knew about Goroshenko.