Chapter 5

Truth be told Gunter Volks didn't mind processing crime scenes. Not that he liked wading into blood but he preferred it to deductive work. Back on Capri his police work usually consisted of busting heads of brawlers. Solving crime was helped by the fact that a killer usually had the weapon still in their hands and was standing over the body when police came.

Doctor Kripisov was removing the body with the assistance of her nurse Monica Kim and two other crew members. They were all clad in white protective suits to preserve evidence. The body was inside a bag atop a maglev stretcher that glided through the door. The groups paused just outside the cabin to disrobe and place the cover suits in an evidence bag.

"I've cleared a route to the medical center just down the corridor and via a crew accessway," said Volks. "You shouldn't come into contact with many passengers along the way."

"Thanks, Gunter," Kripisov said. She was the only one who called him by his first name and he let her. She was liked by nearly everyone on the ship. "The cabin is ready to be sealed up but you know how these things go... we might have to go back in to check something later."

Volks turned to Commander Chung whose team had removed the cabin door and safe. "Will a door seal be easy to remove if forensics have to go back inside?"

Chung thought on this. "There is a lot of damage done the doorframe. I think though that I can place a hinged door over it and nano-seal encoded to release if needed."

"That will do it, Commander," affirmed Kripisov. "As for the remains of the cutaway door and the safe, send them to Medical. We still need to do forensics on them."

"Aye, doc," replied Chung. Her team moved in to seal the cabin.

In a short time the corridor would be cleared which was a good thing as more and more people were aware that something was amiss as they were barred access. The nodule itself consisted of three cabins: 103, 104 and 105. The passengers of 103 and 104 had been out of their rooms. The elderly lady of 104 had been playing bridge in the Observatory while the young couple from 103 had been in the casino. Witnesses and video confirmed this. It was not uncommon for people to have completely messed up sleep schedules. It was one of the reasons around the clock facilities were provided.

Doc Kripisov and her people were ready to move to Medical so Volks nodded to two of his security detail to lead the way. He and the doctor walked together ahead of the body.

"Have you thought of a communiqué to issue in regards to this?" Kripisov asked.

"Yes, I have," replied Volks. "The captain obviously wants calm and to nip speculation in the bud so that is what the message entails."

Kripisov's eyes lit up mischieviously. "Well, don't leave me in suspense, tell me!"

Normally such entreaties would annoy him but the doctor usually got him to respond. "It is a standard message that I've used as a cop. It will read as follows: Sometime overnight a passenger died in their quarters. At this time there is no cause for concern and the matter is being handled by the ship's doctor. The name of the passenger is being withheld until next of kin have been informed."

The doctor nodded. "Very clear and concise. Just enough detail to keep people informed and enough left out to keep them calm."

"Most people's first thoughts when they hear such a message run to death by natural causes or an accident before think of murder," Volks said.

"But some passengers are still likely to press crew for more info," the doctor said thoughtfully. "You must have an answer for that as well."

"I do," stated Volks. "The crew response is to be that the ship doctor is taking care of the matter and that they don't know anything about the death other than it sometimes happens on passenger ships."

"That it does," sighed Kripisov, acknowledging that she had seen a few. "And not just on passenger ships."

Volks took this mean the shared military career they had. Doc Kripisov had been a navy surgeon aboard the carrier Intrepid  while Volks had been Marine Force Recon. He'd first met the doctor on her surgical table suffering from wounds after a mission gone bad.

"How long for the autopsy and analysis of the forensics?" asked Volks.

"Better part of the day for autopsy. Some of the forensics into tomorrow," replied the doctor. "I'll plug the information into CICI as it comes available so that you and the marshal are updated regularly."

Volks made a sour face. "He still looks terrible. The captain was right to have doubts about him."

Kripisov sighed. "I don't expect you to ever be close but he is capable. Just as you are."

"He makes things difficult every time I see him," said Volks. The several times Marshal Cole had come to Capri had resulted in clashes. Two very different men, two very different styles of policing.

"You'll need each other on this one," said Kripisov gravely. "This investigation is the very definition of difficult. It will require a lot of work."

"With very little time to do it," Volks said. His voice gave way to the tiredness he was feeling.

They had reached the hatch to the crew section. From there, the doctor and her people could move the body away from the curious eyes of passengers and emerge at Medical a few decks down.

Kripisov reached for Volks' arm. "You're not the same man you were a few years ago. I've seen you handle investigations that require great skill. I've seen you handle passengers with great tact, even diplomacy."

"I'm not warm and fuzzy," stated Volks.

"But you do have a good sense of humour," winked Kripisov. This caused Volks to smile despite himself. "The autopsy will take a while. This is the time for you to rest and then start fresh in a few hours. Nothing more to do until we have fresh data."

"Thanks, doc," said Volks. And then she and her people were gone.

Security began to open the corridor just as Chung and her team sealed the cabin door to 105. It almost looked like there hadn't been a door there at all. Volks walked up and put the final touch on it. It was a yellow and black tape that said: Police Line Do Not Cross.