Figure Skates

"Gina's turn!" Roland exclaimed, jumping up and down while clapping his hands. Robin handed her a present, wrapped not-so-perfectly in red paper with a big silver bow on top, he must've let Roland wrap this one. It was fairly large and heavy, she wondered what they could've possibly bought her, since she really hadn't asked for anything.

Roland hopped up beside her on the couch, while Robin took a seat on the arm chair to the right of them. Regina wasn't really one to rip open presents like a child excited to see what Santa brought them, she liked to open them carefully and slowly. She peels off all the tape first and then begins unfolding the paper. She could see Robin and Roland were growing impatient with her, and before she knew it Roland's little hands had reached over and ripped the paper wide open.

"Roland!" Robin scolded, raising his eyebrows at the young boy. He quickly retracted his hands and sat them together in his lap, his head hung.

Regina was quick to step in, "Its ok, I don't mind." She said before taking Roland's hand. "Would you like to open the rest of it?"

His head immediately shot up, eyes lightening as she placed the half-opened present in his lap and he resumed taking off the paper. After throwing it to the floor at his feet, he looked back up at her. "You can open the last part." Roland told her while lifting what appeared to be a large shoe box into her lap. Maybe Robin ordered her boots. She'd shown him a nice pair of black heeled ones awhile back, she wondered if he remembered. She pulled off the lid of the box, a short gasp escaping her as she saw what was inside.

"They're ice skates!" Roland declared, giving her a wide smile and showing the dimples on his cheeks. She nodded, not lifting her eyes from the box of perfectly white figure skates. "Don't you like them Gina?" The five year old went on to ask, frowning when she didn't seem excited.

Regina forced a smile as she looked back at Roland. "Yes, I love them sweetie. Thank you." She replied, wrapping her arms around his tiny body. He hugged her back and even placed a kiss to her cheek as he pulled back.

"Daddy said you didn't have any so I thought we should get you some so you can come skating with us now!" Roland said, grabbing at her hand.

She took his hand in hers, rubbing her thumb along the back of his before reluctantly saying, "I can't skate."

"Daddy can teach you, just like he taught me." The little boy replied, shrugging his shoulders as if it'd be no problem. "Right, Daddy?"

Robin nodded, "I don't mind, I'll be fun."

Regina was still a little uneasy about the whole situation. She didn't want to skate. She was a little mad at the fact that they bought her ice skates, but how were they to know. They simply thought she didn't know how to skate so that's why she never came with them to the ice. How were they to know what happened in the past?

"Thank you. I'll be right back, I just need a moment." Regina said quietly as she stood from the couch and made her way upstairs. Robin could tell something wasn't right. He watched as she quickly climbed the stairs, her head hung and he saw her wipe her eyes. What had made her so upset all of a sudden?

"Here, Roland." Robin sighed, handing his son a gift. "This ones from me, you can open it. I'm just going to check on Regina and then I'll be back." He said, earning a nod from Roland who was fast to start ripping the paper.

Robin made is way upstairs, skipping the odd step as he did so. He approached the door to the bedroom they shared, breathing a deep sigh and then gently tapping a knuckle against the wood.