11. the four deadly brothers

Start from the beginning

"I punch to take out my anger—" Fleck interrupted me and the feelings that clogged my throat.

"Then think of something that makes you bloody angry!"

I rolled my shoulders and planted my feet to the ground, my father's face clear in my mind. I punch the bag, over and over again. Each punch was harder than the last. Fleck grinned at the fighter he'd made me.

He grinned because I wasn't weak, and that I had my reason for how I was, yet I kept fighting. He grinned because he believed in me; something that brought me back to the gym most nights.

Though, that's what he saw. He didn't see my heart tearing apart with each punch. Fathers were meant to care. They were meant to be protectors.

He didn't see the difference between the sweat and tears sliding down my cheeks.

-

Frederick, dressed in a sharp looking suit, opened the grand house door to me while giving a slight bow as I walked in.

Robin was in my face before I could put my bag down. He grabbed my arm forcing me backwards into a storage room, but before I could react my foot caught on wooden object.

My landing was loud and painful. Robin bent down and put his hand over my mouth.

"Shhhhh. Don't say nothing." He whispered, taking his hand away from my mouth slowly and sighed in relief when I didn't move, "Mum and Dad are fighting; we can hear them through the door but if they hear any sound they'll stop and we won't be able to catch Dad in the act."

"Why didn't you think of that before you bowled me over?" I hissed, shoving my brother off me who put a hand to his forehead, mentally kicking himself.

"I just panicked, okay!"

I followed Robin out of the room and smiled innocently at a maid who looked at us suspiciously as we tiptoed up the stairs. Red had his ear pressed against the door and Colin put a finger to his lips.

I rolled my eyes. We get it: "shut the fuck up".
Pulling out my phone. I typed into the notes.

Why didn't we just get her drunk like our first plan?

I passed my phone to Robin who read it before typing back.

We took our opportunity when Colin heard them yelling. If nothing happens, it's back to plan A. The maids are making eggnog as we speak.

All of a sudden, we heard the arguing came to an abrupt stop. Slowly, the four of us turned our heads and stared at each other with panic in our eyes.

"SCATTER!" Red hissed as he sped down the hall. Colin climbed off the ground and slipped before running. Robin ran down the stairs and I sprinted after him.

Albert McKinin opened his office door and looked down the halls before yelling my name, "Soren!"

My foot was on the first step; I let my posture relax in way to seem less guilty. Robin was staring up at me the third step away from me. He lay flat on his stomach so he wouldn't be caught.

I turned to him and leant against the marble railing, "father?"

"What are you doing?" He asked. His jaw was clenched and I saw Mum peep from over his shoulder. Her face wasn't bruised from what I could see, though her eyes seemed nervous.