Chapter 14

"Does it hurt?" 

I asked Tetsu while bandaging his wrist when he injured himself from training. It's awfully true but I observed that he's pushing it too hard these days during practice. 

"Mari-chan, I told you I'm fine." Besides the pain, Tetsu still managed to smile reassuringly to me, and that made me smile at him too. Kyaah, I'm really so lucky to be his girlfriend! 

"You keep saying that you're fine, but I know you're not." Pouting, I tighten the bandage on him and he winces in adorably kind of way, by the way, in pain. "Besides, why are you pushing yourself too hard? Tetsu-chan, you could have gotten hurt yourself more worst than this! I can't endure it when you're like that."

Tetsu raises his other hand and reach out my hair, gently stroking it, before turning to look at Aomine and the others, who continue practicing. 

He pouted a little bit, and without looking, he says, "They have gotten better, aren't they, Mari-chan?" 

"Hm?" I also looked at where he is looking, and smiles. "Ah, yeah, they are." 

I noticed Tetsu's eyes suddenly flashes a hint of sadness, and I panicked, wondering if what I said is wrong. "T-Tetsu-chan? What's wrong? Did I say something wrong?" 

"It's okay, nothing's wrong, Mari-chan." He smiled weakly at me, but he bowed down his head, and I couldn't see his expression. "I need to...get stronger too.."

"T-Tetsu-chan..." 

"Aomine-kun...he's gotten so much stronger now that he wouldn't have to rely on me. But I still want to...I still want him to..." 

"What kind of drama are you in, Tetsu-chan?" I smile as I gently lift his chin up to meet my eyes. "For me, you're strong enough, you know? The team needs you...much as I do, and they would really need to rely on you...and again, like I do. Don't push yourself because you're already strong. So don't feel that way, alright?"

Tetsu studies my face for a moment, before breaking into a warm smile. "Mari-chan..."

"Hm?"

"We'll always be playing basketball like this, right?"

"Uh-huh." 

"And both of us...will always be like this too, right?"

"Definitely."

**********

"Please, just hang in there, guys..."

 After a moment of fighting and sniffling back my tears, I decided to let go, and soon crying, low enough that the others wouldn't hear, but loud enough that Kagami could hear, since I was still taping bandage on his legs.   

It was just a random memory passing by in my mind, since I remember bandaging Tetsu, but I can't help myself but to be eaten up by that memory and the broken promises that all of us will stay the same. 

"M-Miu?" Kagami called my name in surprise to see me crying, and others soon started to look at us. 

I immediately wipe my tears away from my eyes and cheeks and sniff. "I-I'm okay...Just something caught in my eye.." 

"Hey, are you okay?" He asked me. 

"Idiot." I looked at him with a slightly-red eyes. "Ask yourself that question."

"I'm fine!" Kagami answered, slightly raising his tone. "M-Miu...hey, d-did you just cry?" 

I laughed softly. "Silly, don't worry. Focus and concentrate on the game, okay? We need you there, after I finish taping your legs.."

"I promise. We'll beat Too with team play!"