Extra: The Reason I Hate Basketball That Time

The Reason I Hate Basketball That Time

*****

There was once upon a time, where the sport I deeply loved so much became one of the things I hate. One of the things I despise. One of the things I hated so much. 

Basketball.

And to think, right now, that I'm the manager of a basketball club, the sport I love and I hate, it makes me so confuse and surprise, like the oxymoron of a bittersweet thing. 

I sighed, holding my shoulder bag as I walk on the corridor heading towards our room. One day before we've won the practice match against Kaijou High. Now, I'm kinda thinking on how did I even hate basketball that time. 

Once I entered my room, Class 1-B, I immediately caught sight with one of the members of the basketball club, and Kuroko's present light: Kagami Taiga. 

I gave him a quick smile and a pat, before sitting on my usual seat next to him beside the window. I usually like this spot because I had a habit of staring on the skies when I'm deeply in thought. 

"What's up?" Kagami asked, curiously looking at me. 

I rested my chin on my hands as I look at him. "Nothing." I answered. "Thinking about basketball and stuffs." 

"Oh, right." He said. "It's hard to find girls who love basketball..what makes you like it?" 

"Ehh.." I answered, staring at my desk. "I love basketball because..my dad is a sport analyst...and he always brings me during the basketball games when he need to analyze the players. Of course I've got so fascinated by the players and I was inspired to become like my dad...a very talented sport analyst." 

"Ohh.." 

I smile at Kagami. "What makes me love basketball more is when I attended Teiko during my middle school. It's one of the happiest days in my entire life. Kuroko and the Generation of Miracles were fun to be with. I work happily with them, doing the best I can so I can contribute to the team."

Sighing, my eyes narrows in sadness. "But the Miracles were so good, and their talents are blossoming...that they grew stronger and stronger, and because of that, they grew distance to the sport they loved." 

"They started skipping practice, they never do team work again, and they thought that victory is something that bestowed upon them.." I pictured the once happy Generation of Miracles celebrating its first victory in the Nationals. "..and that was the darkest and saddest days of my life during Middle school."

"I grew sick and tired of the victory in Teiko. I never felt the sense of accomplishment when we won during those games. It felt like victory is certain and there's no hope for a chance of defeat. The Miracles are completely changed.." 

"What's with that history?" Kagami asked, sweat-dropping. "..The Generations of Miracles are-"

"I hate basketball."

That makes Kagami closed his mouth, widening his eyes. 

I smile at him sadly. "That was the reason on how the sport I love so much become the thing I hate so much."

"Staying at the Basketball club in Teiko days were fun, yet it was also painful. Painful because every time I saw them getting bored at Basketball, it makes me so sad, and sometimes I wish that I wanted to bring back the past where all of us plays basketball together." 

"Kuroko-kun was also saddened by this." I said, remembering the painful break-up. My eyes twitched in pain, as if a knife stab my heart emotionally. "That affected our friendship....a lot."

"Actually, I don't plan on becoming a manager on the basketball club." I stated. "I still hated basketball because I'm afraid that everything old will be new again.."

Then, I remembered yesterday where Seirin cheers on winning the game. The happy looks of the coach and the others..even the first year in the bench were happy. 

"But then..I regained my love for basketball when I saw the hard works you and the others were doing..just to win the game...that makes me realized...again..that victory is something to be achieve by working hard together as a team." 

I put both of my hands on my desk, grinning at the amazed Kagami. "The end. Story's done. Come on now and let's prepared. The bell has already rung." 

******

Kagami and I walk side by side for the lunch time, with me laughing because of the English Problems Kagami is dealing with. 

"What on heck? The English here is formal! There's no way I'll study this!" He complained to me.

"Bakagami! At least you can understand it!" I retorted, veins popping on my head. 

"Kagami-kun, Mari-chan." 

Kagami and I turned our heads on the right, but sweat-drop when there's nobody out there. We turned our heads on the left this time, and saw Kuroko. 

"Hello, Kuroko-kun." I greeted him with a smile, as he walks beside me. 

He smiles at me, before the three of us started talking about basketball, and what will happen later in the practice. 

*******

At the practice, I stand on the corner, holding my clipboard and watching Hyuga-senpai and the others practicing diligently. 

I noticed also on my corner, is the coach making plans for the practice. I smile at them, inspired as I continue writing their data. 

But a certain blue-haired boy caught my attention, and I saw my ex-boyfriend, Kuroko passing the ball to Kagami. Although he was panting, he still practice so hard. 

I smile. 

One more reason I love basketball is because I was inspired by Kuroko. Coming from third string, he rose up to first string because of his dedication and hard work. What makes me love basketball even more is because I love him. I love Kuroko all my life. 

But, the very reason I hate basketball that time was because Kuroko hated the basketball during those last days in middle school. I hated basketball because  it makes me remember all the good and fun stuffs we've been through that could never be put back again. 

I closed my eyes. 

Kuroko -kun is the reason why I love basketball...and also, he is the reason why I hate basketball that time.